cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I7 4770k Sabertooth Z87 Overclock (4.6Ghz @ 1.200v) stable?

Raminowitz
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I am very new to overclocking but have read up on as much as I possibly can to prepare myself. I recently purchased a I7 4770k with a Sabertooth Z87 MB using a Noctua NH-D14 cooler. I set an XMP profile so my G.skill 1866mhz memory would clock properly and set my CPU multiplier to 46 with a manual voltage of 1.200v. I watched a video where JJ said if a cpu can boot at at these specifications the chip is pretty good. Well not only can my chip POST and boot but so far it can play my games (Planetside 2 & DC universe) with no problems at all.

I downloaded and used Aida64 to run a stability test and the computer made it about 20-30mins with the max temp being 75 degrees Celsius last i checked before walking away from it. The computer restarted itself somewhere after the 20minute mark but not sure exactly when. The average temp during the stability tests was in the 60s.

While playing games normally and Aida statistics running in the back it seems i get a max temp of the low 50s with an average of about 38. Would you guys say this is a pretty stable overclock even though it doesn't make it several hours through an Aida stability test?

At full idle the temps are at 25-30 celsius

p.s.
can anyone also tell me what might have caused the reboot? maybe too high of temps or not enough voltage?
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
My view is quite simple. If you system can do the things you want it to do then it is stable.

Passing AIDA or any stress test only shows that your system can pass that test that time. I think that if you can play the games you play and you do not stuffer from system fail then you are stable.

Simply enjoy your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

fbm211
Level 7
You should see if your OC can run through a complete 3d mark 11.Also see how it does with the newest 3D mark benchmark.
some other ones to try are cinebench and Heaven
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse