cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i5-9600k Overclocking Help

Da_Vinci
Level 7
Hi there all! I was wondering if anyone would be able to assist me with some guidance. I am having a fair amount of issues and my last overclocking experience was with the i5-4670k. Right now I am working with the following setup...

i5-9600k*
Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070sc
Corsair RM850 PSU

Does anyone have a similar setup and any thoughts on how to get a successful overclock? I have followed a guide for an i9-9900k which I was told could be similar in settings. However my PC ran for about 5 minutes, hit 60c and froze then restarted. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have! *
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What frequency are you trying to achieve?

What is BIOS setting for SA and IO voltage?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
What frequency are you trying to achieve?

What is BIOS setting for SA and IO voltage?

Well, I was trying to achieve 5ghz but that's when I was running into issues. As for SA and IO voltage, apologies I'm not entirely sure. I might've not entered the correct values on those areas. I don't quite recall. Fairly new to overclocking with the ROG boards. *

XYchromosone
Level 10
You could try the AI OC in the BIOS. My setup is OCed at 4.8GHz for light work and 5.0GHz under heavy load automatically with a 25% overall OC using the builtin AI OC setting. The system tries many profiles to find the most stable OC for your specific system depending on your cooler efficiency, RAM and CPU quality etc. It's worth checking out before you try a complete manual OC with XMP etc. just to see what your system can achieve with the artificial intelligence OC system built in our Z390 ROG Maximus XI series mobos. Even der8auer, who is a well respected OCer on YouTube recommends trying it out. Check out his YT channel for details here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM&t=929s

XYchromosone wrote:
You could try the AI OC in the BIOS. My setup is OCed at 4.8GHz for light work and 5.0GHz under heavy load automatically with a 25% overall OC using the builtin AI OC setting. The system tries many profiles to find the most stable OC for your specific system depending on your cooler efficiency, RAM and CPU quality etc. It's worth checking out before you try a complete manual OC with XMP etc. just to see what your system can achieve with the artificial intelligence OC system built in our Z390 ROG Maximus XI series mobos. Even der8auer, who is a well respected OCer on YouTube recommends trying it out. Check out his YT channel for details here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM&t=929s

Oh well thanks! I think I might've actually seen part of that video as well. Good to know that the AI OC settings are solid, I'll give that a try as well! **

So I wanted to say thanks for everyone's input. I ended up trying the AI utility on the Maximus board. So far it seems pretty stable. Idle temperatures fluctuate from 35-40c (on occasion 40-44). When I run CInebench to test things out it seems like the temperatures get up to around 80c. I will try running some of the games I normally do as well. Are those numbers given typical for the 9600k? I double checked google to see and it seems to point to yes. I'd just like to get input from the community as well. Thanks again!