cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't know what the heck

Jimbo93
Level 12
I am doing, lol.

Is there anyway to improve the cpu max performance envelope over the default bios settings or not. I am hitting a limit that throttles the cpu back to 3990 MHZ, 65W package power. And it never hits 4.3 Ghz as far as I can tell, 4.1 or 4.2 sometimes.

This is the B560 chipset, i5 10400F. The Bios has a ton of tweaking options. Just don't know if I am wasting my time or not. I read an article that indicated this cpu can perform better, score higher on cinebench, depending on the mb and bios settings.

Edit: The CPU temp approaches but does not pass 70C.
13 REPLIES 13

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

The F series CPU is a locked CPU. The only way to overclock them is to use BCLK.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

The F series CPU is a locked CPU. The only way to overclock them is to use BCLK.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I knew it was a locked cpu with a max turbo speed of 4.3. Just confused about what is holding it at 4.0 under full load. I experimented with Digi VRM settings in AI Suite III, I can certainly get more power to the cpu and heat of course, but still not much change on that turbo speed.

I'll read up on BCLK. Thanks.

Que the mission impossible theme song.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

And upping the BCLK will screw up everything else. I change mine from 100 to 101 and lose my 10G ethernet, GPUs wont work for crap and a myriad of issues.
You mistake was not doing your homework before buying.

While there are all kinds of options they are a waste of time. About the only thing you might be able to tweak up a bit is the memory but thats going to be limited as well the the chips IMC thats also locked.

BigJohnny wrote:
And upping the BCLK will screw up everything else. I change mine from 100 to 101 and lose my 10G ethernet, GPUs wont work for crap and a myriad of issues.
You mistake was not doing your homework before buying.

While there are all kinds of options they are a waste of time. About the only thing you might be able to tweak up a bit is the memory but thats going to be limited as well the the chips IMC thats also locked.

But I did not make a mistake. I am satisfied that I got a good deal assuming it works right.

Nate152
Hi Jimbo93

Setting the windows power plan to high performance should peg your cpu at 4.3GHz.

I'm currently at defaults.

Thank you for the suggestion Nate, but it actually does not peg it to 4.3. Instead it fluctuates from around 3.8 to 4.2 but average is about 4.0. All monitoring software shows basically the same.

I checked that the power plan is correct/default. It must be something about these B560 boards. I also tried syncing the cores at the same speed, but no difference. My bios version is 0820. Same motherboard that is in my profile. I might do some more bios experimenting a little later but I am not optimistic.

Nate152
Yeah I'm not too familiar on the AMD side of things.

So, I can only wonder if running in manual mode with the c-states disabled and windows power plan set to high performance would peg it to 4.3GHz.

if it doesn't work, hopefully someone will chime in that can help you more.

Nate152 wrote:
Yeah I'm not too familiar on the AMD side of things.

So, I can only wonder if running in manual mode with the c-states disabled and windows power plan set to high performance would peg it to 4.3GHz.

if it doesn't work, hopefully someone will chime in that can help you more.

This is Intel system. Im going to post a vid in a minute so you see the clock do the funky medina.

and walla

Nate152
There should be a way to get it to run constantly at 4.3GHz, are you sure setting the windows power plan to high performance doesn't peg it to 4.3GHz?

You have to unhide the high performance power plan, then you can check to see the minimum processor state is at 100%.