cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use ASUS ROG USB BIOS Flashback

V2-V3
Level 8
How to use the ASUS Republic of Gamers USB BIOS flash back

The minimum hardware requirements for USB BIOS flash back is to have a Motherboard with ATX Power Supply on and plugged into the wall. You do not need to have a CPU, RAM, Graphics Card, or Hard Drive connected to the system.
The system does not need to be turned on or pass POST (Power On Self Test)

1. Acquire a USB Thumb Drive
2. Format the USB drive with a FAT32 file system
3. Download the latest BIOS for your motherboard and place the extracted ROM file on the USB drive
4. Be sure to rename your file according to the motherboard model. If you have an Rampage III extreme, rename the file to R3E. If you have a Maximus IV Extreme rename the file to M4E.
5. Place the USB drive into the ROG Connect USB Port

5. Hold the Rog connect button down for 5 seconds and an amber light near the BIOS chips will flash for several seconds and when flashing has stopped the BIOS has been successfully updated..

Youtube Video:

HiTechLegion Deno Video:

The BIOS Flashback help page has also been updated for CAP upgrades:
http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

114 REPLIES 114

Nate152 wrote:
Hello OldMike65

It looks like you named the bios file correctly, you can revert to any bios version using bios flashback or the EZ flash utility in the bios.

Thanks Nate 🙂
Didn't know I could use the EZ flash tool in the bios !!! Worked like a charm
Your help was much appreciated sir. 🙂
Mike....

Svenohrberg
Level 7
The EZ flash in BIOS, can this be done without CPU, ram a.s.o., as with the USB-BIOS flashback?
I have a STRIX ROG Z370-H Gaming, and there is a new BIOS out now, to let it work with the new Intel core i7 9900K, but I need to flash it before putting the expencive CPU in it.

MonarchX
Level 7
This doesn't work with 64GB flash drives, even if they use FAT32 format.

I used a 64GB USB stick. What did you format it to? I did mine to exFat.
I updated my BIOS from the outside, something to do :cool:

the_Unforgiven wrote:
I used a 64GB USB stick. What did you format it to? I did mine to exFat.
I updated my BIOS from the outside, something to do :cool:

If my understanding is correct for flashback to function file format of usb stick must be Fat, not exFat.