cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable fans?

Selkis
Level 7
So I have a new build with a Rampge Extreme V. The CPU is custom watercooled with an external radiator and reservoir of 2L.
The radiator has 2 fans connected to the CPU_FAN output.

Now when doing light to normal work, the CPU is around room temperature or higher (usually 30°C) as the water cools passively in the reservoir and through the tubing.
The radiatorfans are a bit overkill when doing normal work, I don't mind letting the CPU reach 35°-40°C doing normal PC-work, as long as it remains silent.

The question: in the AI-software bundled with the rampage V motherboard, I can tweak my corsair fans to go from 30% to 100%. But as stated, I'd like to reach 0% when below 40°C, reach 100% when above 40°C.
Why doesn't it let me pick 0%?

Cheers!
10 REPLIES 10

Selkis
Level 7
Bump

trawetSluaP
Level 7
Selkis wrote:
So I have a new build with a Rampge Extreme V. The CPU is custom watercooled with an external radiator and reservoir of 2L.
The radiator has 2 fans connected to the CPU_FAN output.

Now when doing light to normal work, the CPU is around room temperature or higher (usually 30°C) as the water cools passively in the reservoir and through the tubing.
The radiatorfans are a bit overkill when doing normal work, I don't mind letting the CPU reach 35°-40°C doing normal PC-work, as long as it remains silent.

The question: in the AI-software bundled with the rampage V motherboard, I can tweak my corsair fans to go from 30% to 100%. But as stated, I'd like to reach 0% when below 40°C, reach 100% when above 40°C.
Why doesn't it let me pick 0%?

Cheers!

I'm nore sure you board has a similar BIOS to mine but if it does, under the fan tuning page there is an option to stop fans if temps are below the minimum temp target, you just have to change the setting to enable.

trawetSluaP wrote:
I'm nore sure you board has a similar BIOS to mine but if it does, under the fan tuning page there is an option to stop fans if temps are below the minimum temp target, you just have to change the setting to enable.

Hey thanks, i'll check it out right now. I'm honored your first post is a reply to my question. :cool:

Update: Nope I don't have that option, or at least I don't see it in my Bios. Do you happen to have a prtscrn?

Bump

Selkis
Level 7
Bump

kkn
Level 14
what sort of fans do you have? 3 or 4 pins?
3 pins can only be controlled by voltage, witch will require a fan controller.
you can get fan controllers whit LCD display whit temprature on them.
and for water temp i would recommend a inline temp probe on the loop.
here is one example -> http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/monitoring/temperature-sensor/15938/phobya-temperature-sensor...

if you connect a 3pin on to the motherboard it will be 100% all the time from what i know.

kkn wrote:
what sort of fans do you have? 3 or 4 pins?
3 pins can only be controlled by voltage, witch will require a fan controller.
you can get fan controllers whit LCD display whit temprature on them.
and for water temp i would recommend a inline temp probe on the loop.
here is one example -> http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/monitoring/temperature-sensor/15938/phobya-temperature-sensor...

if you connect a 3pin on to the motherboard it will be 100% all the time from what i know.

Wow thanks. That cleared things up! They are indeed 3pins. Both Corsairs.
On a software scale I can adjust speeds easily from 300rpm (minimum required to get it running) to 1400rpm. It's just a shame the ASUS software doesn't let me pick 0 for some unknown reason.
I'll see what I can do with a fan controller, that will take a while nonetheless.a

Thanks

Quick Question

What corsair fans do you have?

I have an AF140 3pin, which I cant change at all in corsair link. What software are you using to change speeds?

Thnaks 🙂

mojo1990 wrote:
Quick Question

What corsair fans do you have?

I have an AF140 3pin, which I cant change at all in corsair link. What software are you using to change speeds?

Thnaks 🙂

Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 1100RPM, also 3pin. The software: standard AI Suite 3 which comes with my Rampage V board.