cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How GPU Tweak 2 manage GPU Temp ?

Mordust
Level 7
Hi !

I've recently installed GPU Tweak 2 on my ASUS ROG 750JS and am wondering about something.

How does GPU Tweak 2 manage to lower the temp on the GPU ?

By default is about to 90°C and I can choose to lower to what I want (like 80°C).

Is really really hot in my town and my laptop is having difficulties to cool to a good temp because its a laptop obviously ^^'.

I want to lower the temp to 70°C or 60°C but before doing that I want to know how its done and if I risk something like destroying my fans or my GPU.

Hope I'm clearly enough to make you understand my request !

Thank you, Have a good day/night !

Byebye !
5 REPLIES 5

Bahz
Level 12
Running at 80°C imo is still too hot, taking it below 70°C (if possible), would be best and honestly I would care more about the actual system than the fans. If your fans are always turned up very high then yes it will reduce the lifespan of the fans but it will also help you increase the lifespan of your notebook. I believe GPUT2 should have complete support for 870M but since GPUT2 is mainly designed for desktop graphics cards, some driver versions may not have full support. What I mean is that even though you can open up GPUT2 and it seems to support your GPU but you can't change any settings. This is what happens on my laptop, where I can't change clock or fan settings. Make sure you have downloaded the latest Nvidia graphics driver to ensure the highest chance of this driver version being supported. Go into professional mode and you can set the fan curve for your GPU (user define and click on the settings icon beside user define), if it doesn't work then I recommend trying the latest version of GPU Tweak II which is v1.4.5.4 or download the latest version that is listed in the product support page for your product.

Hi Bahz ! Thank you for your reply !

Am wondering about what the system do to cool and make the temp lower on the GPU ? is he increased the RPM of fans or something like that ?

Thanks 🙂 !

Mordust wrote:
Hi Bahz ! Thank you for your reply !

Am wondering about what the system do to cool and make the temp lower on the GPU ? is he increased the RPM of fans or something like that ?

Thanks 🙂 !

If you're using the laptop at home or in a stationary place then it's recommended that you also consider getting a notebook cooler as that could help lower the temps by a few degrees.

Zka17
Level 16
Not sure on the laptop, but on the desktops reduces the GPU clock... starting with the limit of the turbo boost...
You can underclock and undervolt manually too...
I would first set the fans to the max level you can support them (where they're not loud), then manually adjust the clocks and voltages... well, if it possible on the laptop...
However if you have really high ambient temps, your system will be running hot... try to use your laptop in AC'd spaces, you can also make a DIY AC for your room if needed...

Zka17 wrote:
Not sure on the laptop, but on the desktops reduces the GPU clock... starting with the limit of the turbo boost...
You can underclock and undervolt manually too...
I would first set the fans to the max level you can support them (where they're not loud), then manually adjust the clocks and voltages... well, if it possible on the laptop...
However if you have really high ambient temps, your system will be running hot... try to use your laptop in AC'd spaces, you can also make a DIY AC for your room if needed...

Hey diamond belt, you got a link for "manually adjust the clocks and voltages" on the Asus 2080 Super?