cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hivizman - Brazilian Carnival Challenge

HiVizMan
Level 40
Roll up roll up it is Brazilian Carnival Time at ROG

Beautiful Rio and on the 12th June the Beautiful Game will kick off. Yes it is time for World Cup 2014 Brazil.

So many reasons to love Brazil and football.

But we are Benchers not overpaid footballers. So lets get benching.

This challenge will run during the entire World Cup 2014 and end at the final whistle.

The Benchmarks

3Dmark05

3DMark FireStrike

Super Pi 1 & 32mil

ROG Realbench V2

Each bencher must choose a participating team as their playing partner, select a number between 1 and 31 and post up that number when you indicate you are going to be doing the Samba with us here on ROG. First come first serve this is a blind selection and no swapping out allowed. Brazil is taken as that is the Challenge Partner. The reason why will become apparent as you keep reading.

Rules and Limitations

• No sub ambient benching
  • HWBOT submission rules apply
  • Official wallpaper must be used
  • Photo of your benching rig with first submission
  • Same hardware and frequency for all benchmark
  • Handicapping will apply depending on hardware used*
  • Weekly bonus points for submissions
  • Quarter final shoot out 5 bonus points
  • Semi Final shoot out 10 bonus points
  • Final shoot out 15 bonus
  • World Cup winner 20 bonus points**

Wall paper is supplied by our resident creative boffin and my friend Chris. Link added

*Handicapping will be based on the HWBOT hardware index for each benchmark.
**Best first time participant will receive additional bonus points depending on Brazil's final position.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.
322 REPLIES 322

darkage
Level 11
i don't have the hat is that a restriction ?

Dartmaul
Level 12

Nice to see you're back Dagmar.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers my dear friend it is good to be back. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Menthol
Level 14
#9 #9 #9
Looking to see the new team ROG people join this Competition, this is where to learn your hardware limits and software tweaking abilities, for me it is much more fun than just submitting scores on HWBOT but at the end of the competition you end up with your best scores for submitting.
Now where are all the mankini jokes. You guys are facing some STIFF competition

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
By the way, what is:

No sub ambient benching

is that < 0 °C ?? or

Henkenator68NL wrote:
By the way, what is:

No sub ambient benching

is that < 0 °C ?? or

If your screen shot shows your temps to be lower than what the temperature in your room is then you are using non-ambient cooling. If you only have cooling that is sub-ambient (lower than the temperature of your environment) then we can work out a frequency cap. The contest as you know is here so that as many people as possible can participate, only a few of us have access to SS or Phase units and or LN2. 🙂

Antronman
Level 10
Sub ambient >.<

I guess it means no Ln2 or phase changing?

But then what is the point of the competition?
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

HiVizMan
Level 40
To have fun mate, as simple as that.

Antronman
Level 10
Well, yeah.

But if it has to be water or air, and no Ln2 or PC, then won't everybody end up with pretty much the same OCs? (Somebody might have a little more voltage than somebody else, but the same clock limitations of water will still be present, unless people have bad chips.)

I'm just saying it doesn't really test your tweaking/oc capability. It would be fun, yeah.

So, to clarify for everybody else, is Ln2/PC allowed or not?
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

HiVizMan
Level 40
No LN2 what so ever.

If you have phase or a single stage cooling then let me know and we will work stuff out. Phase is not such a big deal with the newer CPU's as the heat that is produced at higher frequency than say a good water system can handle is marginal. Maybe 200MHz difference between a good water and a phase unit.

And ideally yes I would prefer every one to have exactly the same frequency, that way it is all about your tweaking skill and not raw power. These guys here start off in the first week with scores that are OKish, or even personal bests for some of the submission. But by the time we are done those scores have all been left far behind. So much more to benching that just overclocking. As Menthol said you end up with heaps more skill and heaps more points because you improve so much in these contest periods.