cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help stabilize 9900KS overclock - water cooled!

Alexauwa
Level 7
Hey guys,

I finalized my first custom water cooled pc and are very happy with my results. Still, I have some questions in terms of dialing in the right bios settings.

I run the following setup:

// PC
i9 9900KS @5.2 GHz
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
64 RAM 3200 CL14
GTX 1080
1000 Watt PSU

// COOLING
2 x 360 radiator
EK Pump
EK CPU cooler
Heatkiller GPU cooler

I run the current bios settings:
CPU clock = 5.2 Ghz
Memory set to XMP
Loadline calibration = turbo (level 6)
Enhanced multi core performance = disabled
Uncore ratio = 47
C states = all disabled
CPU vcore current protection = extreme
Pmw phase control = extrem perf
Power limits are not limited
Rest voltages are set to auto

In terms of vcore and maybe related settings I have questions. I started off with a vcore of 1.290. I played around 1.290 and 1.310.
I tried Cinebench R20 and R15 a couple of runs. AIDA 64 as well and Prime95. All seem to work even with 1.290 vcore at the beginning. The longer the pc was running the more I run into crashes. My temps are absolutely fine. In between 80-85 on prime95.

So my question: is it normal that the vcore of 1.290 is not enough over time? Does it need a higher vcore over time? Do I have to keep raising the vcore? What additional bios setting would help stabilize the overclock apart from the vcore?

Memory is not overclocked and GPU got 200 MHz and 100 clock overclock though.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Alex
29 REPLIES 29

Falkentyne wrote:
Your Vcore in that screenshot is 1.24v-1.293v.
Use VR VOUT on Gigabyte boards to monitor. And this is an Asus forum. Did you really expect Gigabyte users to be here? 🙂

Asus maximus XI boards vcore sensor in HWInfo64 is like our VR VOUT (although 12mv resolution rather than 2mv).

VID has absolutely nothing to do with loadline calibration unless the mOhms value on your Vcore LLC is equal to the "DC Loadline" mOhms value, but VID is based on a scaling calibration from x8 to x50, for using Auto and DVID modes, is highly dependent on AC Loadline for how it affects VR VOUT, but will not correspond to VR VOUT on auto or DVID unless you fully understand the relationship between Thermal Velocity Boost Voltage optimizations, AC Loadline and DC Loadline, and any DVID Offsets in use do not affect VID whatsoever but will affect VR VOUT.

VID will *never* match VR VOUT on any fixed voltage because fixed voltage programs the VRM manually.

Thx mate. I have no owned asus for ages, but gigabyte simply got better VRMs over asus z390 boards. Although asus bios is still better. I've always made good experience in this forum.

Our explanation are a bit too complex for me as I can't address all those different values. The last thing I tweaking around is llc as I want it match my vcore readout. I am editing 4k videos so cpu load can be pretty demanding. My temps give me a lot more heat room but I guess 5.2 Ghz is kind of my sweet spot.

Alexauwa wrote:
Thx mate. I have no owned asus for ages, but gigabyte simply got better VRMs over asus z390 boards. Although asus bios is still better. I've always made good experience in this forum.

Our explanation are a bit too complex for me as I can't address all those different values. The last thing I tweaking around is llc as I want it match my vcore readout. I am editing 4k videos so cpu load can be pretty demanding. My temps give me a lot more heat room but I guess 5.2 Ghz is kind of my sweet spot.

Ok. Then simple: Use VR VOUT for your voltage reading.

Falkentyne wrote:

Ok, thank. So I run multiple stress test like AIDA, PRIME95, real bench and read out the max. Dial that one in and keep the LLC as low as possible so probably 7 or 8 to the OC a bit more voltage to play with?

Falkentyne wrote:

Just tired Prime95 or real bench stress test. VR Out is only 1.27 vcore. It drops down when stress test is running. On IDLE it is higher at around 1.31 vcore. Why is that and what vcore shall I set in BIOS? I tired 1.290 vcore and Real bench crashes. That is weird. Can someone explain this?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Are you setting manual voltage...or adaptive? And what power plan settings...
Any avx offset....latest Realbench and prime run avx and will pull a lot to run at high ghz.

I run into stability issues when rendering 4k proxies with Adobe media encoder. I am at 1.33 vcore and llc turbo (llc 6 on asus). Still crashes at 1.33. Is easing vcore the only option?

Also once I set avx = 1. I get immediately crash. An idea why?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well....I've not had a play on a GB board recently....not sure what their llc settings are like...I guess you'd just have to experiment carefully raising vcore or lowering llc.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well....I've not had a play on a GB board recently....not sure what their llc settings are like...I guess you'd just have to experiment carefully raising vcore or lowering llc.

Thanks mate, I will keep trying 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Ok thanks. Well I've now managed to have a good stability at 1.320 vcore @5.2 GHz which think is a resonable voltage. My VID does still jumop quiet a lot. 1.275 - 1.42. Guess that is normal thought?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Ok thanks. Well I've now managed to have a good stability at 1.320 vcore @5.2 GHz which think is a resonable voltage. My VID does still jumop quiet a lot. 1.275 - 1.42. Guess that is normal thought?

Hey mate,

The correct voltage you need to monitor in hwinfo is VR VOUT (it's the one grouped with current and power output). It will show voltage very accurately under load and at idle.

Are you using the latest F10 bios optimized for the KS?