cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed to achieve 4.6 Ghz - 4790k on Asus Maximus VII Hero

cyber_flame
Level 7
Please help me to get rid of Heat issue as something I can't understand on ASUS Motherboard.

I was earlier running 4790k on Gigabyte H97-D3H @4.6Ghz with 1.224v with H100i V2 and very stable. Temp was not exceed 71c during Stress Test and was very stable even I ran Realbench on Gigabyte Motherboard and all was fine. IXTU passed also without any thermal issue.

But When I changed Motherboard to Asus Maximum VII Hero, Processor even Heating up without OC at BIOS DEFAULT at 4.4Ghz default Turbo boost and reached to 71c even with CPU-Z Benchmark.

Later I used AI Suite III and that doesn't help also. Used Ez Tuning in BIOS and it OC only to 4.5Ghz but that also doesn't help.

Note: I am using Arctic Silver 5.

Something I need to adjust in BIOS or whatever.

It is a request to please help.
2 REPLIES 2

Owneth
Level 7
cyber_flame wrote:
Please help me to get rid of Heat issue as something I can't understand on ASUS Motherboard.

I was earlier running 4790k on Gigabyte H97-D3H @4.6Ghz with 1.224v with H100i V2 and very stable. Temp was not exceed 71c during Stress Test and was very stable even I ran Realbench on Gigabyte Motherboard and all was fine. IXTU passed also without any thermal issue.

But When I changed Motherboard to Asus Maximum VII Hero, Processor even Heating up without OC at BIOS DEFAULT at 4.4Ghz default Turbo boost and reached to 71c even with CPU-Z Benchmark.

Later I used AI Suite III and that doesn't help also. Used Ez Tuning in BIOS and it OC only to 4.5Ghz but that also doesn't help.

Note: I am using Arctic Silver 5.

Something I need to adjust in BIOS or whatever.

It is a request to please help.

Your processors thermal compound could be dried out now based on age and usage. You're best to spend a little to get a lot.

I have the exact same board and processor.

You assume all responsibility. If you have a default cooler that came with the processor, stop now.

Prepare to spend some money if you can.

Step one. Get the latest beta bios. (3503) Trust me when I say it's the most stable it's been ... ever. Not sure why. But the bios had something to do with it. Update it.

Assuming you have proper cooling like a AIO water cooler. Corsair H105 is a great one for this processor and overclocking.
I would also consider delidding using a tool if you've never done it before. De8aur (google it) delid tool. Its the older version thats under 50$
Liquid metal between the ihs and core if you've done the proper steps for delidding.

After that,
Reset everything to optimized defaults in the bios, then restart/shut down. Reboot, go back in and set your memory to xmp profile at the top.

Set your multiplier to 46, sync all cores option also.
set your cache min and max to 44.
Go to your core voltage. Set it to 1.28v
Go to your cache voltage, set it to 1.28v.
leave all the rest at auto.
Check your XMP is set to your rams XMP profile.

Save and reboot. Test.

Try other changes to each of the variables. I wouldn't try to go over 1.35v without water cooling (like the H105)

I am pulling 4.8ghz @ 1.346v right now, 68c is MAX core temp (1 core) others are like 63-65.

Owneth wrote:
Your processors thermal compound could be dried out now based on age and usage. You're best to spend a little to get a lot.

I have the exact same board and processor.

You assume all responsibility. If you have a default cooler that came with the processor, stop now.

Prepare to spend some money if you can.

Step one. Get the latest beta bios. (3503) Trust me when I say it's the most stable it's been ... ever. Not sure why. But the bios had something to do with it. Update it.

Assuming you have proper cooling like a AIO water cooler. Corsair H105 is a great one for this processor and overclocking.
I would also consider delidding using a tool if you've never done it before. De8aur (google it) delid tool. Its the older version thats under 50$
Liquid metal between the ihs and core if you've done the proper steps for delidding.

After that,
Reset everything to optimized defaults in the bios, then restart/shut down. Reboot, go back in and set your memory to xmp profile at the top.

Set your multiplier to 46, sync all cores option also.
set your cache min and max to 44.
Go to your core voltage. Set it to 1.28v
Go to your cache voltage, set it to 1.28v.
leave all the rest at auto.
Check your XMP is set to your rams XMP profile.

Save and reboot. Test.

Try other changes to each of the variables. I wouldn't try to go over 1.35v without water cooling (like the H105)

I am pulling 4.8ghz @ 1.346v right now, 68c is MAX core temp (1 core) others are like 63-65.

Bro! Bios updated to latest 3503 Beta

Set voltages and Cache as you set. Temp reached so high even games are not working.

My system specs as below:

Core i7 4790k
Asus Maximus vii hero (Bios updated to latest)
H100i V2 Liquid Cooler
Ram Kingston 16GB DDR3 - 1600Mhz (Non XMP)
FSP Epsilon 600Watts 80 Plus (Non - Modular)
Geforce GTX1060 6GB

So to Test Corsair H100i V2 Liquid cooler and 4790K, I set Processor frequency to 4.6Ghz with 1.224v and C-State Package set to C7s the results are as below:

1) Idle Temp 29c Core and 34c Package (Picture Attached)
2) CPU-Z Bench - Temp Jumped directly from 29c to 71c and reached up to 76c Max (at 4.4Ghz default boost no OC 67c - 1.184V)
3) CPU-Z Stress - Temp Jumped directly from 29c to 71c and reached up to 78c Max (at 4.4Ghz default boost no OC 68c - 1.184V)
4) Cine Bench Test - Temp Jumped directly from 29c to 75c and reached up to 96c and System crashed (at 4.4Ghz default boost no OC 85c - 1.184V)

5) Test in Games
....A) Assassin's Creed Origins - Max temp 64c at intensive load (Pictures Attached for your review)
....B) NFS Payback - 59c-61c
....C) Shadow of Tomb Raider - 62c (Pictures attached for your review)

Now I want to know is my Cooler is Faulty or Processor need to delid or there is any issue with Power Supply?

OR

I need to adjust some settings manually in BIOS?