cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: my ROG Pc randomly turns off

erixx11
Level 11
Hi there,

i have a ROG Maximus V Extreme mobo, a 3770K, good RAM and a new AX860 PSU, etc.
After a year of flawless operation at 4800 Mhz I am recently getting random turn-offs.

Sometimes it is while I use the PC, just surfing the web or writing, BANG! : off.
Sometimes I leave the PC on at night and I find my PC off in the morming.

Whenever this happens THE POWER-ON BUTTON does NOT work.
I have to disconnect the PSU with its own button, wait until the mobo is electrically drained (no more working LEDS). Then, only then, I can restart my PC.

I have disabled overclocking, or only mild overclocking, and some days it looks good, but then again ZAS! I get a instant power off!

Realy weird, isn't it?

Thank you if you can help me understand and solve this!!!
22 REPLIES 22

haihane
Level 13
the instant it suddenly turned off, did you check for, let's say: heatsink temperature? it could be overheating, or one of your fans suddenly died, prompting the motherboard to shut down the system to protect itself. one way to tell this rather easily is to feel the heatsink with your own finger shortly after the computer shut down by itself and wouldn't turn back on.

if one or more of your fan died, during cold boot the bios will make noise, notifying you about it. this is what happened to me, my Closed loop watercooling radiator pump died on me. i was curious so i poked a feel on the actual thing sticking above my CPU, and it was HOT!.

left it alone for a day, power on the next day due to curiosity. the bios screamed at me that CPU_FAN reads N/A speed. i powered it back off immediately and went to get a temporary cooler. then again i disabled the ROG boot splash screen and used the American Megatrends post view. i have no idea how it'll look like if ROG boot splash is turned on.

could also be short circuit. this unfortunately i can't help much.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Nate152
As haihane said it could be shutting down due to your cpu over heating. Could you list the voltage required for 4800MHz. and list your cpu cooler too please.

erixx11
Level 11
I use a fanless In Win H-Frame, and a Noctua very well working cpu fan.
I log my temps constantly with Aida64 on screen. Nothing too warm.
Maybe it is a shortcircuit. I will have to disamble and rebuild each part. Thank you anyways!
Another posiblity I think about, is CPU burn-out...

Nate152
cpu degradation? I read about this that when overclocking, your cpu can degrade over time and will need a little more voltage to achieve the same speed. Fortunately, I have never experienced this. Before tearing your pc apart, Is there anyway you can test it with another power supply?

erixx11
Level 11
Thank you. I just bought a new PSU going from a corsair 750 to AX860, I revised my cabling also.... found a little cable problem, exchanged that calble, had some good days, but then again same problem:
- Ssporadic HARD-OFF
- No restart untill PSU / Mobo is power drained

I hope some long time expert can guide me! 🙂

Nate152
I am far from being an expert but I try to help if and when I can. I would never tell you to do anything that would be harmful to your computer. We have to do some troubleshooting to find out what is causing your issue and this can take some time. Since you have the same problem with your old psu, we can pretty much rule out that it is not the psu.

Nate152
Do you still get the shutdowns with auto settings and everything at stock speed?

erixx11
Level 11
hi Nate,
yes, i have been on stock auto settings a week and still got this problem.
Apparently, for me, it looks like mobo unstability or cpu problem.

- I have Surge protection disabled in bios.

Nate152
Hmmmmm ok, Here is what I would do. I would set everything to auto/stock settings and run some tests. You can use prime95 to test stability of your cpu, memtest86 to test your ram. You can do this while I find something to test your gpu with.