cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Building a PC!!

Davixandrex89
Level 7
Hello everyone, I am next to assemble a desktop computer with a base of $1000 dollars to spend between board, video card and processor, had planned to buy a gtx 970 with a core i7-4790k, but I have a doubt as to the board, I wonder who think or what they believe is best, had thought of a maximus VII formula but I dont know if it is the right choise, I appreciate your help, thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Quad5Ny
Level 7
Your asking for a lot to get a 4790K+GTX 970 complete system for under $1,000.

Below is probably close to the best your going to get (without compromising too much); The only thing really missing is a SSD. Oh and BTW if you can afford it go with 2x8GB sticks of DDR3-1866 instead of the 2x4GB of DDR3-1600.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/89cmWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/89cmWZ/by_merchant/

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.98 @ OutletPC)
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
  • Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
  • Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
  • Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
  • Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.99 @ Mwave)
  • Total: $1021.39

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-02 11:45 EST-0500

Davixandrex89
Level 7
thank you very much for your answer, but I think I did not understand well, I have that money available only for board, graphics card and processor, other components I buy in my country (Colombia), becouse these three components are too expensive here in my country and I prefer to buy outside, my question is whether it is worth spending the Maximus VII formula, or only 1000 dollars in those 3 components, I really want to invest in something good, to then go adding things that are needed for a system better, as you said the SSD, I plan to buy those 3 components on amazon, but I think the option you give me arming the full pc is also much better, what is your opinion ?? again, thanks for your help!

Quad5Ny
Level 7
If I was to build a new system I would choose the Z97-Pro. It is currently the board that offers the best performance and features for under $200 USD. (If you need WiFi and Bluetooth then the Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) is about $45 more.)

The extra features of the Maximus VII Formula are not worth the extra money [Z97-Pro=$155, Maximus VII Formula=$305]. The only way I could see paying double the money for the VII is if you need the extra UEFI options for extreme overclocking.

Do you know what you plan on using the computer for? If you do, it would help people offer you suggestions.

The most expensive motherboard is not always the best choice. 🙂

Davixandrex89
Level 7
system usage is for gaming and design, but no for extreme, I plan to serve me to play the latest games smoothly and a future overclocking (a little one, Im no a esthusiast), now I have a G75VW who no longer holds the current demand, so thats why I want to invest in a good set of desktop , had thought in firts instance buy two gtx970 and do SLI, but the budget was me out of hand, so that one I'm good with one, I would like to know your opinion about it because there lay my question, whether to invest in the Maximu VII formula, or some other board to give me just as possibilities for the future, as I said, eventually adding another graphic, or better RAM, SSD, among others, again thank you very much, and sorry for insisting in this topic but must buy the components today. paying more money for better board is no a problem, like $300 box limit. or could be also spend less money on the board and go for a more powerful graphics, what you say ??