cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help a Noob with UEFI

Dave112
Level 7
I've been building computers since the 80's but it's been a while. I just built a new system with M7H and 4790K. I also have 32 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 memory. I am a complete Noob at UEFI, XMP, and overclocking in general. When I try to set XMP to run the memory at 2400, the CPU also gets overclocked to 4.8 MHz and the computer won't boot. I don't want to OC the CPU yet, but I do want to run the memory at 2400. Do I have to set the memory manually? If so, I don't know how to do that yet, so any step by step instructions would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
How are you trying to set XMP profile.

This is how I do it and I do not have my CPU OC'd on completion.

In BIOS F5 to reset to defaults.

Mode of OC XMP profile.

All the rest leave to auto.

F10 and enter.

Job done.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

That is pretty much what I did. Memory is now at 2133 MHz and CPU (at default) is at 4.4 MHz. Just changing the XMP profile (nothing else) to the 2400 Profile OCs the CPU to 4.8. Any suggestions are/will be welcome.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please use a FAT formatted USB stick and take some screen shots. F12 in bios.

These are the screens I want to see.

1 F5 and enter take a screen after doing this.
2 Set the XMP profile as mode of OC but no press enter
3 Once you have set the XMP profile

Make sure you have the mode of OC right at the top of the screen so I can see the multi section in the screenshot.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Dave112
Level 7
I hope I took the screenshots right, including the adding the images.

I was confused about image #3. So the fourth image is after the computer wouldn't boot and I hit Reset.

Dave112
Level 7
I thought of another screenshot that you may have been referring to in #3.

Chino
Level 15
With your system shutdowned but power still going to the motherboard, clear your CMOS using the button at the back of the I/O shield. Power up your system. Go into the BIOS again and take a screenshot just like the first one you posted. That is the only one I need to see.

Dave112
Level 7
Here it is

Dave112
Level 7
Here is a screenshot after using the clear cmos button on the motherboard.

I also tried the mem test button on the motherboard. The manual says that it will not work in a Windows OS environment, so I tried it with the motherboard in standby. It did nothing. Do I need to use it while in the UEFI? The manual isn't very clear on that, or anything else for that matter.

Dave112
Level 7
I tried setting the RAM speed manually, following Chino's guide. Setting the DRAM frequency to 2400 was not an option (didn't go any farther). So I checked the version and discovered that I had version 0904. I updated the bios version to 1005, using the USB flash (letting it go until the flashstick stopped flashing), but when I went into the UEFI, the version was the same (version 2.16.1240) and setting the DRAM frequency to 2400 still was not an option. So now I'm really confused. I have the same relevant specs as in the post Hero VII overclocking to 2400MHZ with Hyperx Beast 32 MHz, including that it's a 4X8 kit and 4790K, and he apparently was able to get his running at 2400. I must be doing something wrong. Is there a way to verify the bios update was successful? Please help.