cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haswell overclock

jfrech14
Level 7
Hey there all! I am playing around with my clocks and have gotten my 4770k to be stable through 10 iterations of intel burn test on maximum stress setting at 4.4 ghz with the ram at 2.4 ghz and it reached 83C I have a 360 rad and a 240 rad custom loop. Does this sound like a decent result? I'm going to see how stable I can get the CPU clock without a ram overclock but ibt came up with just over 128 gigaflops which seems to be a nice result. Just hotter than I hoped 😕 be back soon with another overclock. Let me know your thoughts please 🙂

I know it isn't really the best chip produced but if will do 4.6 with the ram at 2.4 just won't pass intel. It passes cinebench and realbench but once I touch 4.7 windows barely starts. So not great chip not terrible chip?
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7 4770K
8 GB G.Skill Trident X 2600MHz
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Corsair HX1000W PSU
SLI - Custom Watercooled EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
XSPC Custom Watercooling loop AX360 dual pump with 360 Rad and 240 Rad
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Hue LED lighting
31 REPLIES 31

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey jfrech14 🙂

Yeah, all these CPUs are different so what you get out of them varies a lot...seems a normal chip. The temp does seem a bit high for that much radiator real estate (though I guess you have CPU and GPUs on same loop) but they are hot chips and it does depend a lot on your ambient temp and the airflow through the RADs case etc. What ambient temp and what idle temp are you getting and at what voltage at load etc.?

jfrech14
Level 7
Hey there!
This picture shows my cooling setup. I have it raised a little over an inch off the desk for more airflow and that lateral fan over the radiator to conduct traffic mostly because I bought it and wanted to use it. They sent me a probe sensor rather than the inline sensor I ordered but I made use of it by putting it on the outside of the tubing and under load it reads in the low mid 30s and 26 idle and my cpu reads 28C while idle. That is pretty much the case day by day although the load temperatures vary slightly during the day vs night (old house). The ram cooler on there is mostly just for some direct airflow to redirect any stuck heat from the cpu and northbridge. The ram is now running its 2600MHz @ 1.67v and is not hot so not really useful otherwise but it makes the case look so cluttered so I am going to test it to see if the direct airflow helps and get rid of it if theres not at least a 2C difference.

Right now I am installing PCMark and 3DMark so I will get some nice burn ins hopefully. CPU is at 4.4GHz @1.248v stable and my 2 770s are at 1300MHz core 7600MHz memory never reaching above 40-45 under hours of load. These XSPC Razers work really well with these Kepler GPUs it seems. I got a Heaven score of 2083 if that sounds like a reasonable score for this setup? I will give more and better numbers once these benches install and are run.

For cooling. I considered a dual loop system but I got a raystorm package with the 2 d5 pumps and heard running dual loops can be good and sometimes not worth it. I seem to be getting nice temps on my GPUs and considdered delidding my CPU but if I have a 4.5 GHz chip I don't want to delid it just to prove I don't have a 4.7 GHz chip... well I do but it's not a good idea 😉 haha Let me know your thoughts and thanks for helping me out!

PS I used AS5 which has a burn in time... could this be part of the reason they may not be as low as hoped yet?

Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7 4770K
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
Corsair HX1000W PSU
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Hue LED lighting

NemesisChild
Level 12
Nice setup, have you run Unique Valley on Extreme HD mode?

Curious what score you can generate.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Hey! I'll give it a try 🙂 I am finding that I can clock higher when benchmarking with 3dmark. Is this normal? I can't run intels stress test at anything over 4.4 but I'm running 3d mark fire strike extreme at 4.6 and a massive overclock on the gpus. What is more reliable. I'll run CPU mark to see if the CPU can take it. I heard intels stress test is 20 degrees higher than most
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7 4770K
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
Corsair HX1000W PSU
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Hue LED lighting

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Ok so all those temps and voltages sound fine to me...and airflow set up etc. must be the stress test is very hot! Maybe post up a Firestrike (normal) in this thread....stock and then OCd http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33401-Share-Your-3DMark-Scores(Fire-Strike-Only-Please)&cou...

🙂

ROG Realbench is a good stress test....tests the whole system at once http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43233-Realbench-v2-Discussion-Thread-Download-Links&country...

jfrech14
Level 7
Sucks because my thermals are showing around 55 c at 4.7 in firestrike until it crashes. it just won't do it I guess... Doesn't mean I won't try though:)
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7 4770K
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
Corsair HX1000W PSU
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Hue LED lighting

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That might be the display driver crashing? in which case back off a touch on the GPUs? or is it the physics test that's failing on the CPU?

I took the overclock off of the gpus and it still crashed. It only gets hot in the physics portion of the test but it crashes in the first graphics test. Le sigh haha. I get the whole windows will restart itself for you. You can look this error up later.. At 4.5 ghz I got a score under extreme of just under 7100 idk if it's good or not honestly haha
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7 4770K
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
Corsair HX1000W PSU
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Hue LED lighting

jfrech14
Level 7
Here are 3 firestrike normal mode scores and in the name of each you can see the overclockings. I am gonna try it with 4.6 now

Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7 4770K
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
Corsair HX1000W PSU
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Hue LED lighting