cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haswell overclock

jfrech14
Level 7
Hey there all! I am playing around with my clocks and have gotten my 4770k to be stable through 10 iterations of intel burn test on maximum stress setting at 4.4 ghz with the ram at 2.4 ghz and it reached 83C I have a 360 rad and a 240 rad custom loop. Does this sound like a decent result? I'm going to see how stable I can get the CPU clock without a ram overclock but ibt came up with just over 128 gigaflops which seems to be a nice result. Just hotter than I hoped 😕 be back soon with another overclock. Let me know your thoughts please 🙂

I know it isn't really the best chip produced but if will do 4.6 with the ram at 2.4 just won't pass intel. It passes cinebench and realbench but once I touch 4.7 windows barely starts. So not great chip not terrible chip?
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7 4770K
8 GB G.Skill Trident X 2600MHz
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Corsair HX1000W PSU
SLI - Custom Watercooled EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
XSPC Custom Watercooling loop AX360 dual pump with 360 Rad and 240 Rad
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Hue LED lighting
31 REPLIES 31

Zka17
Level 16
The heat production is not just the results of high voltages, the frequency also plays a role there...

jab383
Level 13
if they throttle Vcore without throttling frequency, we would get bluescreens. I think throttling does what it can while still continuing to operate.

Expect heat - watts of power - to go up proportional to frequency when voltage is constant. Power goes up proportional to voltage squared when frequency is constant.

The CPUs need for voltage at higher frequency is not linear, but a linear relationship sets a lower bound on the total power variation -- frequency cubed as we try to push higher overclocks by increasing volts.

Various benchmarks at the same total power, speed, voltage, etc. produce different temperatures depending on how the power is spread among the CPU cores. Realbench is a stringent test and does a very good job of spreading the power evenly and holding the power constant over the multi-threaded tests. OCCT distributes power evenly among the cores. Those two stress/benchmark programs show lower temperature than Aida64 at the same speed, voltage and using comparable stress test -- non AVX CPU and cache stress. Aida64 rotates the stress among the cores one after the other so that the cores being stressed are hotter than the others and monitored temperature appears higher. Single threaded benchmarks are the worst at uneven heat.

That's one of the 'features' we live with when using multi-core CPUs -- hot spots. We need to pay attention to the hottest core because that's what will cause throttling and threaten the health of the CPU.

Jeff