cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haswell Overclock - Should I Live With It?

PC4CAB
Level 7
Folks,

Just completed a new build and "upgraded" to the i4770K chip running on a Asus Maximus VI Hero mobo. Despite my best efforts, I can't seem to get a stable overclock passed 4.3gHz. Should I live with this, or roll the dice on a new processor and sell this one? So far, I'm not too impressed with Haswell. I needed 1.35v to get a stable overclock at 4.3, running memory at 2400mHz. Temps on the CPU are around 33c at idle, and as high as 73c at 100% using the Asus benchmark software....

My Realbench V2 score is - 79857

I did delid the proc as well.... Was hoping to get to at least 4.4. 😞

Cheers!
PC4CAB
13 REPLIES 13

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Well that article you lined Henk, would make one think Devil's Canyon will work on Z87, as it says it's a special 4th Gen Unlocked CPU.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
At this pre-launch stage I'm being told it won't be, but that could change.

It is kind of strange to put it mildly. The way the part about the Devil's Canyon was written:

From Intel: At a media event today at the Game Developers Conference, Intel previewed a special unlocked 4th gen Intel® Core™ processor code-named "Devil's Canyon." Due in mid-2014, it includes improved thermal interface and CPU packaging materials that are expected to enable significant enhancements to performance and overclocking capabilities.

This suggests that it would be 4th gen, not excluding anything. I read elsewhere that this is a product for the Enthusiasts looking for better OC since the thermal interface was far from perfect...

But it would be really sad if that would be only for the Z97. Bit like a kind of consolation price: "Look an improved CPU specially for you "Overclocking dudes" including ........................ a new motherboard*.

*at your own expense.

Henkenator68NL wrote:

But it would be really sad if that would be only for the Z97. Bit like a kind of consolation price: "Look an improved CPU specially for you "Overclocking dudes" including ........................ a new motherboard*.

*at your own expense.

You'd expect anything different from Intel? now that AMD is pretty much out of the enthusiast market, Intel is gonna milk their users out of every dollar they possibly can.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Well that article you lined Henk, would make one think Devil's Canyon will work on Z87, as it says it's a special 4th Gen Unlocked CPU.

Seems i'm at bit of an impassé on my next build. It was going to be RIVBE/4930K, but, i'm struggling to justify over 3K for a PC build...so I may get DC, or, wait for Broadwell/Z97 that's supposed to be coming this year too.

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Well I remember 1 off the first marketing/economic studies I followed: Dealing about: open vs closed markets. One thing (I think it was Kottler) that really made me look and think differently was his remark about Monopolies... Which Intel in essence is (looking at top range products at least): monopolies are a killer for the free market, as no longer competition is a real issue, companies tend to turn there scope from outside to inside = maximizing profits, keeping board of directors happy and the stock holders. The customer has become a mean instead of an end. Famous quote from Philip Kottler from his book Marketing 3.0: “If you talked to people the way advertising talks to people, they’d punch you in the face”. That says it all IMHO.