cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great results using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut + Minus 8 Pads for delidding/CPU/GPU/N +

Bad_Wolf_10
Level 8
I recently changed out my thermal grease from EK- Ectotherm to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut to coat the top lid of my IHS. I decided to take it a step further and delid my i7. I delidded my i7 3770K to replace the stock thermal interface material (TIM) that Intel puts between the CPU chip and the underside of the integrated heat spreader (IHS). After much research I decided to replace the stock CPU TIM with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I wanted a grease that was meant for overclocking. Before I could only get my chip stable using Prime95 at 4.2 GHz. If I clocked it any higher my temps would reach its limit in a few seconds (85-105°C) After I delidded my chip and applied Kryonaut to the chip die and lid, I was able to get 4.6 GHz stable running Prime95 for 1 HR

I was able to drop my temps by 24°C let alone have the ability to even try a higher overclock than 4.2 GHz stable using Prime95. Kryonaut open the doors to push my chip to the limits in a safe manner. An added benefit was reducing power consumption of the the CPU by ~10%

Next up was swapping out my OEM thermal pads on my 7990 water block with minus 8 pads. I used latex gloves while cutting and placing the pads. Used 1.0mm pads for the VRM. and 0.5mm for the rest and applied Kryonaut to both GPU's. AMD's 7990 are notorious for being hot running Graphics cards. When it was stock air cooled the idle temp was 62°C and 79°C max temp when gaming. Switched to watercooling using stock OEM pads that came with my waterblock & EK- Ectotherm which gave me an idle temp of 40°C and max temp of 59°C playing Battlefront on ULTRA. With Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 pads and Kryonaut my idle temps dropped to 35°C and 48°C max temp on Battlefront Ultra. That's a -31°C drop from aircooled when gaming.

I replaced the OEM thermal paste on the South + North bridge on my motherboard with Kryonaut. Added a minus 8 pad (1.0mm) on the South Bridge which always runs hotter. Idle the South bridge use to run at 68°C but now runs at 41°C

Overall heat reduction using Thermal Grizzly products has significantly brought my temps down. It has enabled me to reach full potential of my CPU + GPU while keeping temps safe. Glad to see a new company offering high end products.

Pros:
- Decreased my temps by -31°C
- Applicator serves as a spatula making it
easy to apply the grease
- Lowest temps I've ever reached overclocking
- Comes with 2 applicators and a long term storage bag

Cons:
- None so far

My water cooling components:
Heatkiller IV Pro acrylic clean CPU water block
7990 GPU water block
200mm Phobya radiator
240mm Black ice radiator
XSPC Photon 170 Reservoir/D5 Vario Pump Combo
13mm PETG Primochill tubing
Distilled water with PT Nuke
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello Bad.Wolf_10, welcome to the ROG forum !

I was doing some research on thermal compounds and saw the thermal grizzly kryonaut is excellent beating out the gelids GC extreme. I just purchased a tube of the thermal grizzly kryonaut and have not had a chance to try it yet as I'm waiting on my cpu to come. I won't be delidding my cpu but I'm looking forward to excellent results.

31c is a huge temperature drop, even though I'm not delidding your post makes me more anxious to try the kryonaut.

I currently have the 3770k too overclocked to 5.0GHz (not delidded)

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
I replaced my Noctua paste with Kryonaut on my NH-D14 and got a 3c+ temperature drop. That is pretty decent for replacing a pretty good paste in the first place. I can run my 4790k @ 4.8 GHz very comfortably on air

I used the dot method.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Thanks for the greeting Nate152!
5.0 GHz is every OC's goal. I got mine purring at 4.8 GHz now but after that it becomes unstable during P95 test. Delidding is very simple procedure but if your already at 5.0ghz then there's no point lol Do you run any kind of stress test on your 3770k? What new CPU will you be receiving? Kryonaut will not disapoint, trust me.

Geneo your 4790K @ 4.8 ghz is amazing for being cooled by air! Here is a pic of my Heatkiller IV Pro waterblock

Nate152
I'm pretty sure it won't pass a stress test but it's game stable and am upgrading to the M8F and 6700k. I got the thermal grizzly kryonaut at performance pc's it's cheap !

http://www.performance-pcs.com/misc-tim/thermal-grizzly-kryonaut-hgh-performance-thermal-grease-1g.h...

Are you using distilled water in your loop? Your rig looks cool !

Thanks! Yea I run about 1400ML of distilled water with PT Nuke for now. Soon I'm going to dye the water with Mayhems Aurora 2 red. I purchase 90% of my watercooling products from PPC. I like how Thermal Grizzly gives you different size options on their thermal grease. I will be trying their liquid metal on my buddies 390X next. Your new mobo and gpu will be solid. I myself want a M8E but can't justify the 500 price tag when my V is running flawless but I really like the M8 Formula. Beatiful looking board

Nate152
Here are some pics and videos of the maximus viii formula. I'm using the thermal grizzly kryonaut thermal compound, it comes with a little spreader in the resealable pouch.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82540-Maximus-VIII-Formula