cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the most out of 5820K

Omega_Centauri
Level 7
Fairly new to over clocking but have read a lot of different guides on how to over clock Haswell 5820K. *Armed with the new knowledge and a very limited budget I went for the Strix X99 platform with Intel i7 5820K, a new (but mediocre?) Zotac GTX 1060 with 3GB, 32 GB of G.Skill 3000 rated memory (remembering the adage that CPU is King, I didn't think I would end up pushing the memory much above 2133 - later proved myself wrong) and spent the balance of the budget on a high airflow case (Master Cooler HAFX) and water cooling (Corsair H100i v2). *The research showed that Haswell chips run very hot so the investment in extra fans and cooling was key in my mind to get the CPU to a decent speed.

Once built and up and running I did a baseline stress test and benchmark - both with the Realbench program and established a starting point of about 99,000. *My goal was to see if I could get an extra 50% by over clocking and tweaking. *Then I started adjusting settings, each time stress testing and benchmarking.
Partway through my build of the new machine, I went over my original budget and spent some extra money on an Adata M.2 drive. *Great investment and the immediate baseline benchmark was up by about 40%. * This improvement seemed too easy and altered my target. *My next goal became getting the most out of the machine to see if I could double the original benchmark. *This is still a work in progress - getting close with a score of 192,406. *This is getting closer to my updated goal and it is getting harder and harder to squeeze any more out of the machine without increasing the fear of breaking it.

I also started to look for my uploaded scores on the Realbench leaderboard. *Since they never showed up on the leaderboard, I kept trying different upload techniques. *Eventually I realized could find them if I searched my computer (and as a bonus found that I had benchmarked more than 50 times earning a benchmarking addict medal in the process), but still not in the leaderboard listing. *A Question: *How come scores don't show in the leaderboard, but I can only see them if I do a search for my computer?

Seems like I am writing a long story about the over clocking trials but I am certainly enjoying this new adventure and welcome any comments or suggestions.

Omega Centauri
10 REPLIES 10

Thanks for the tip. *I had looked at a few of them briefly a while back, but now is a good time for me to go back and take a more detailed look.
Omega Centauri*