cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

general hardware; memory clock stuck at 1400mhz (gddr5)

m0nk3n
Level 7
i have a asus radeon hd 7970 direct cu ii top.

i noticed this thing with it just recently. the memory clock wont idle it's stuck at 1400mhz. however the core clock is idling at 500mhz.

i've tried display driver uninstaller, went into safe mode aswell with it, reinstalled radeon display driver (crimson), manually downloaded it \ let windows install it, uninstalled msi afterburner, restarted the computer each uninstall \ reinstall i did.

idk whats wrong with it. warranty is still good i think, would it be worth to rma?

i went to asus.com to download bios for the card. downloaded installed and ran the utility, restarted the computer.
after that both the core and memory were stuck at 1000 \ 1400 mhz. then i reinstalled msi afterburner and ati display driver (crimson) and now only the memory clock is stuck. i've tried gaming with it and gpu temp is around 60celcius. no frame drops like everything should be normal.
7 REPLIES 7

MNMadman
Level 8
Are you sure that's not what it's supposed to be doing? I ask because that's the default behavior of my Nvidia card -- only the GPU core down-clocks when idle. I've never had an AMD card, so I don't know too much about them.

m0nk3n
Level 7
according to cpu-z even motherboard memory has an idle clock. i'm pretty sure the graphics card's memory arent supposed to run at 5600mhz all the time. it has to cool down sometime. for longevity reasons 🙂

i had furmark 1.15.1.0 run for about 5 - 10 minutes and i was expecting that both core clock and memory clock would go idle by any chance but only core clock settled down.

is there a way to test the gfx card somehow where it doesnt need to use memory functions if it does infact need to up the memory clock cause of what happens on the monitor?

MNMadman
Level 8
Well, like I said in my previous post, my Nvidia card (GTX 980 Ti) doesn't do that. My previous one (GTX 980) didn't either. The memory of both of those cards is/was always the same speed, whether at idle or full load. The core of my 980 Ti down-clocks to 1139MHz when idle then goes up to 1456MHz when loaded but the memory has always been at 7010MHz.

And where is that idle clock for the mainboard memory? There is nothing like that in my CPU-Z v1.74 -- I looked in every tab and couldn't find it.

For information about the graphics card I use GPU-Z, HWinfo64, and EVGA Precision X, all three of which agree that my GPU memory doesn't down-clock when idle.

m0nk3n
Level 7
it's both under the memory tab and the spd tab... tell me why my 1866mhz doesnt show up as 1866mhz on those 2 tabs then? unless youre telling me you are looking for something that isnt there.

look at this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3qj3qw/does_every_amd_gpu_have_their_memory_at_max_clock/

go down and find " Sev87 " why?

MNMadman
Level 8
Your 1866 memory appears as 933MHz memory in CPU-Z, exactly as it should. Because it's DDR memory, which stands for Dual Data Rate. That means it operates at 933MHz, but sends data two times per clock tick. 933x2=1866.

No idle clock there, or on the SPD tab...

m0nk3n
Level 7
and youre telling me my memory clock on the gpu should do the same. its the same concept.... if you dont know. gtfo pls

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Thread closed. Future posts like the last one will result in more than the thread being closed.