cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fried my processor, could I have fried my Motherboard

Old_Painful
Level 7
Just purchase an Asus Maxumus Hero and a Intel I5 K series. The reason I bought these parts is because of the
series of events about a week ago. I found my Asus P877-v Deluxe with a 3770k lagging a little or I just wanted it to be a little peppier.
So I decided to OVERCLOCK IT. I read and watched youtube videos and had a pretty good feeling going into it and I knew that my particular
processor did not take voltage well due to poor thermal paste by Intel. I changed the multiplier and bumped the voltage one tenth of a
volt. Ran prime 95 and it did fine with no increase in heat. Cooling with an h90. The next time I went back into BIOS and increased the
multiplier a couple more and when I went to increase the voltage I thought I increase it correctly but punched in 2.25 volts. The BIOS even
flashed in red 1.9 volts and I paid it no attention, I guess that was the max value. When I hit save and exit there was a noticeable "click"
and she shut down. I rebooted to error code 55. Everything I've tried since has had no effect. Seems like there's not even a BIOS
and it just shows code 55. Am I done? Sorry about the format of the post, I'm learning.
3 REPLIES 3

Chino wrote:
Have you tried clearing your CMOS?

Yes, a couple dozen times. hehe. Im gonna try to go into DOS with a USB stick. Code "55" I'll bet. I"m gonna have to buy an i5 off of ebay and drop it in there. I just hope somehow I can get the bios back, but after 2 volts I doubt it.

Chino
Level 15