Specs:
- i7 8700k
- Rog Maximus X hero
-G.Skill flare 3200 mHz 14 CL
- Asus 1080 ti strix
-NH D15
-EVGA 850 G2

Hey everyone!

I tried der8auer OC guide and noticed something not right with my build. First, the annoying double boot bothers me to no end. It starts up and flickers the RGBs and goes back to boot again with my fans on high. I literally have to hard reset to get it back to normal speeds but I don't want to keep doing that. And if I don't reset it guaranteed to freeze on me shortly.

Second, I noticed when my pc is idle 15 mininutes-ish, or even sometimes at random, it locks my mouse/keryboard and I have to hard reset to get out.

I think my culprits are using XMP, disabling CPU SVID support, and enabling ErP Ready S5 ( I guess I can live with mobo RGB's on at night.. )

If anyone can give a noob a hand that would be appreciated 🙂

Edit: I can't even get Realbench to run as I click the .exe after extracting it and it freezes my pc
(https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/)

In Idle
I switched back to Optimized Default as I wanted a fresh start (Realbench still won't load)
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hello jelooknight

Welcome to the ROG forum !

I suspect your problem is with your ram, g.skill flare x is designed for ryzen platforms but it still may work.

Try setting your ram manually with Dram voltage 1.40v.

Raise both the cpu vccio voltage and cpu system agent voltage to 1.15v - 1.25v, start with both at 1.15v.

Does this get you stable ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello jelooknight

Welcome to the ROG forum !

I suspect your problem is with your ram, g.skill flare x is designed for ryzen platforms but it still may work.

Try setting your ram manually with Dram voltage 1.40v.

Raise both the cpu vccio voltage and cpu system agent voltage to 1.15v - 1.25v, start with both at 1.15v.

Does this get you stable ?

Hey Nate!

I adjusted my Dram voltage to 1.4V and raise both my CPU VCCIO Voltage/ CPU System agent voltage to 1.15V.

When I tried loading realbench with these settings I got a BSOD - Stop Code: Driver Verifier Detected Violation
What failed: inpoutx64.sys

I never got that error code before usually I see watchdog something.

Edit: I chose G.skill flare as I was copying this guy build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Ngq48d
How he was explaining the clearance for the ram is tight and g.skill trident doesnt fit

I'm gonna leave my PC on idle for a hour and check to see if it freezes (Usually does when I had der8auer settings applied)

Nate152
If it's still freezing, try loosening the primary timings to 15-15-15-35 with a command rate of 2N.

Also try reinstalling Realbench.

Nate152 wrote:
If it's still freezing, try loosening the primary timings to 15-15-15-35 with a command rate of 2N.

Also try reinstalling Realbench.

So it doesn't freeze in idle anymore. But I still get BSOD (same error code) with new install of realbench.

I changed it to 15-15-15-35 2N and still BSOD
I also enabled HPET successfully and noticed it took longer for the realbench install.

Nate152
See if you can return the ram for G.Skill Trident Z. You can use Trident Z with the NH-D15 but can only use one fan.

I get stuttering in games with HPET enabled.

So i'm back with the correct ram G.skill trident 3200 hz CL14 and also I have a XG248 rog monitor.

My problem is when I type in my p/w to log in, it freezes. I tried defaulting my ram in the BIOS and still no luck 😞

Edit - I did a clean install of windows 10 and I have Driver Easy ( pro version as I got frustrated) and now I am able to pass the login.

This might not be related to ram. Have you changed any main settings in bios related to cpu? You say this is your first OC. Typically you want to OC your cpu first, then once it is stable, work on ram. Have you done anything with the CPU in bios?

feedmeink wrote:
This might not be related to ram. Have you changed any main settings in bios related to cpu? You say this is your first OC. Typically you want to OC your cpu first, then once it is stable, work on ram. Have you done anything with the CPU in bios?

Hmm I have to say I don't really reckon that myself

Mt thinking: Running RAM at higher frequency/tighter timings is more load on the CPU. If you OC CPU you can then destabilize that same OC adding OC Ram to it.

If you get the RAM up to where you want it first...then any CPU OC is taking the RAM into account already.

Maybe there is feedback CPU on RAM too but I reckon it's less...

That does make sense for sure. I was always under the impression if the cpu oc destabalizes the ram OC, to just bump up the voltage to the CPU and imc a little to make up the difference. In the case of the poster, it might help though to trouble shoot the cpu oc first. Since setting ram to factory is still causing these issues, if I were in that situation I would set the cpu to factory also and see if the problem is solved. If solved, I would load up the OC profile and change individual aspects to auto. One at a time and test, to rule out the problem. But what you said makes sense for sure.