cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fans forced to 100% when CPU reaches 75C

TamiyaGuy
Level 7
Been using a PRIME Z270-A, along with an i7 7700K, for a little while and I've got to say that as my first Asus product, I'm pretty disappointed. I've noticed that in both BIOS and AI Suite III fan control options, the fans attached to the motherboard force themselves to 100% speed when the CPU reaches 75 degrees Centigrade, and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix this. Having bought Asus specifically for their reputation in fan control options, and seeing other options like the "Extreme Quiet" PWM option and fan spin-up/spin-down time variation, this seems like a really strange limitation for two reasons:

1) Competitors seem to offer much broader temperature control. MSI allows at least 85C, Asrock seems to allow 90C, and Gigabyte allows full control up to 100C. So why is Asus so behind the competition in this, especially in this day of both silent systems and easy overclocking?

2) Intel themselves have said that a 7700K reaching 75 - 80C is "considered expected and normal". So why is Asus ramping up every fan in my system to 100% as if it's some kind of critical temperature?

Is there any way to bypass this limit? I've tried both in the AI Suite III application and by modifying the saved profiles within the application folder, but neither seem to work.
44 REPLIES 44

I'm a bit confused about the problem here.

Am I the only one that has no problem simply checking the Critical Temperature box and setting curve however I want it?

A pic of CPU Fan control is below. I changed the name to RYUJIN Pump as that is what I run off the CPU header. But in any case I can control this header and my case fan headers any way I want by clicking critical temperature box and changing the curve. I've set full fans to not engage until 95 in this example.

mdzcpa wrote:
Am I the only one that has no problem simply checking the Critical Temperature box and setting curve however I want it?

It's just about the UEFI fan control "application", not some Asus Windows software. Possible that it can be set there, but many don't bother with installing this kind of software, at least I don't.
Edit: And why not make it available in UEFI also, if the Windows software can do it? Seems like some arbitary, absolutely unnecessary limitation without any reasoning.

vvoid wrote:
It's just about the UEFI fan control "application", not some Asus Windows software. Possible that it can be set there, but many don't bother with installing this kind of software, at least I don't.

So you don't want to be "bothered" by the solution. Understood. Carry on.

mdzcpa wrote:
So you don't want to be "bothered" by the solution. Understood. Carry on.

Sorry? With solution you mean Asus Windows software?
That's just a workaround really and as said, why not also make it available directly in UEFI? I don't understand what the problem is...

mdzcpa wrote:

If your a Linux user you can't use the solution.

Another issue with this solution is a lot of the AM4 motherboards use ITE IT8655E Super IO chip, this embedded controller can exhibit erratic behaviour when a SW accessing it doesn't support "ASUS WMI", at times ASUS's own SW has not been correctly done to use with the stated EC.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

tostitobandito
Level 7
I have a similar issue to the OP. For whatever reason, my chassis fan 2 header starts spiraling out of control towards max speed as soon as its top temp threshold is reached. This, regardless of what I have the max speed set to in the BIOS. For example, right now I have it set to max out at 60% at 70C. It does that, but as soon as its temperature source starts to go past 70C by even 1 or 2 degrees the RPM shoots up to 100% in a few seconds and stays there until it drops below 70C. Same behavior when I have it set to 75C or whatever, and it's just that header doing it for some reason. It's not the fan or cable or anything because I've plugged other PWM fans into the same header and the behavior is unchanged.

I have a Maximus XI Hero Wifi running the most recent BIOS, and it didn't always do this. The fans ran fine for months, possibly until I applied one of the more recent BIOS revisions earlier this year. I can't pinpoint the exact time unfortunately.

Anyways, I'm now resorting to buying a Commander Pro and running all my chassis fans through that instead so I actually have control over them via Link or icue (which seems to run reliably with my AIO fans). This also eliminates the limitation of the low temp caps and only 3 speed points in the Q-Fan control in the BIOS. Rewiring it all will be a giant PITA though.

Ricadan
Level 7
Bumping this thread to say it's ridiculous how this restriction is still in place, especially for Ryzen 3000 users. My 3900x easily spikes close to or above 75C while handling background processes or opening new browser tabs, which means every time I open a new tab I have to hear my cooler go from 50% to 100% for 5 seconds before spinning back down (ramp-up settings don't seem to do anything). Ryzen Master reports a temperature limit of 95C so 75C should be perfectly fine for these processors.

Also "use Ai Suite III" or other fan control software is not a real solution since multiple users like me dual boot between Windows and Linux and would like noise/thermal performance to be consistent regardless of OS and without having to tinker with multiple fan control programs.

Retired
Not applicable
Ricadan wrote:
Bumping this thread to say it's ridiculous how this restriction is still in place, especially for Ryzen 3000 users. My 3900x easily spikes close to or above 75C while handling background processes or opening new browser tabs

your CPU is running 75c idle in windows, and opening browser tabs??

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
same here i have a 360 mm aio 6 x 120mm push pull , 3 x 120 mm on top of case , 2 x 120mm bottom of case , 1 x 140 mm rear

when i hit 75 c it sounds like a jet liner . and i can watch my cat get blown away .

i have my 9900 ks @ 5 ghz / 4.7 cache @ 1.23 v and i try to keep temps below 65 c
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

Retired
Not applicable
75c is perfect for me with wraith Prism
cpu peak at 70c while gaming
fan starting to ramp up at 55c and idle idle in windows cpu @40c-50c
cpu fan idle 600rpm below 55c

if the fan curve was bumped to 100c in bios, many people would run the CPU idle @ 80c- 90c (and then complain about it going broke later)

constant temperatures above 75c is not recommend for a CPU no matter what pro overclockers is saying, so in think thats why Asus set that limit