cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic CPU Multiplier and CPU Voltage?

GreggMack
Level 9
I followed the procedure from overclockers.com to pretty easily get my i7-4770K on my ASUS Maximus VI Hero board into some very stable overclocks. With the CPU voltage manually set to +1.275V, and the CPU multipliers set to 45, it runs AIDA64 just fine for up to 8 hours. I saved that as OC Profile named 45G_OK2_Stress.

Just to back-off a bit, more for everyday use, I dropped CPU voltage to +1.250V (manual), and the multipliers down to 44. Saved that as OC Profile named 44G_OK2_Stress.

From there, I changed the CPU Voltage from +1.250V manual mode to Adaptive Mode, and saved this as OC Profile named 44G_Adaptive.

Lastly, to make an ultra safe, everyday use OC, I dropped the CPU Multipliers down to 42, and the CPU Voltage down to +1.240V and saved this as OC Profile named 42G_Adaptive.

Here's the reason for my asking for help. When I am using any of these OC Profiles, and observing CPU-Z, I never see the CPU voltage reduced, even while the computer is doing nothing more than running CPU-Z. I thought that the Adaptive Mode for CPU Voltage would reduce the voltage when possible. Likewise, I never see the CPU Multipliers change dynamically, either. Maybe because the multipliers remain fixed (42 or 44), that the CPU Voltage never drops from the setting that I enter?

Early on in my build, I played around with AI Suite 3 for a little while, and maybe I did something there that has altered my UEFI settings in a way that I did not expect.

Even at +1.250V and 4.4 GHz, the CPU temperatures are under 83 C while running AIDA64, with an average temp of nearly 20 C below that. It's definitely not getting hot. I just think that it might be using more energy than it needs to (99% of the time while it is just idling....). If anyone knows of a simple solution to my "problem", then I would be very appreciative to learn what I need to change. If not, I'm perfectly happy to leave it as it is and start loading this computer up with my application programs and going on my merry way. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
When you set adaptive mode did you enter a value for voltage?..

" Manual Vcore to determine how much voltage the processor needs under full load is best - Adaptive or Offset mode can be used to match the stable voltage later on. Simply type the target load voltage into the entry box "Additional Turbo Mode CPU core voltage" to set adaptive voltage."

from here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&p=26977...

If you've done that I would look carefully at your power plan...performance runs CPU at full whack. In advanced options you can set min processor to 10% and speedstep will work...

Arne, yes, after changing to Adaptive Mode, I did enter the value in the field for Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage.

I also read that entire ASUS Maximus VI Series UEFI Guide for Overclocking AFTER I got everything up and running - I found that tech note while I was looking for a solution to my "problem".

Thanks for the suggestions.

Praz
Level 13
GreggMack wrote:
When I am using any of these OC Profiles, and observing CPU-Z, I never see the CPU voltage reduced, even while the computer is doing nothing more than running CPU-Z. I thought that the Adaptive Mode for CPU Voltage would reduce the voltage when possible. Likewise, I never see the CPU Multipliers change dynamically, either. Maybe because the multipliers remain fixed (42 or 44), that the CPU Voltage never drops from the setting that I enter?

Set the Windows power plan to balanced instead of performance.

Praz, Great suggestion! I'll try it as soon as I get home from work this evening. Thanks!

Praz
Level 13
You're welcome. 🙂

GreggMack
Level 9
Praz, your suggestion worked perfectly! I just booted into Windows, went to the Control Panel, clicked on Hardware and Sound, clicked on Power Options, and selected Balanced (recommended).

That was enough to fix my "problem". I didn't like that the Balanced Power Plan wanted to turn my monitor off after just 10 minutes, and to put the computer to sleep in 30 minutes, so I simply changed those two settings to 45 minutes and Never. My changing of these times did not effect the Balanced Power Plan from dynamically changing both the CPU Multiplier and the Core Voltage.

Thanks for the simple, elegant solution!

Praz
Level 13
Those settings for monitor and sleep are just defaults. They can be changed to anything without affecting the downclocking or the voltage being lowered. And you're quite welcome. 🙂