cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual graphics with AMD A8-3870 and Radeon HD 7870 possible?

Blackout_STi
Level 7
Before I start, I want to say that I know next to nothing about video cards, dual-graphics, crossfire, etc. I am new to this stuff, and just came across a post about this while searching for the max core temps for my CPU...

So, Apparently it is possible to utilize my integrated graphics AND my video card at the same time? I know you can connect two external GPUs, but I didn't hear of using the integrated graphics...

I have an AMD A8-3870 CPU and a ASUS Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition V2 card. I know neither of these are 'awesome' but they are what I have to work with. I play ESO mainly, and have been experiencing less than satisfactory desirable FPS (as low as 20fps and in less intensive dungeons and such - as high as 60fps). I have tried running my GPU O/C'd to 1195MHz / 5800MHz with GPU Tweak, but didn't see much difference in performance so I reverted back to the GPU Tweak 'Gaming' preset which is 1120MHz / 5080MHz. Will adding the Integrated graphics processing power to my current GPU help me out with gaming?

I would love to get some boosts in FPS somehow, and if linking up the integrated graphics with my HD 7870 is possible and will help, I would like to... If it is possible and will work (and not break anything) what all do I have to do to set it up? I'm assuming there is a way to configure both GPUs since there seems to be quite a few people running two GPUs...

I found this page which made me think this is possible: http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Recommended_graphics_cards_for_AMD_dual-graphics.html
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm I cant see that combination anywhere on that page so I kind of assume that no, you can't run dual with those two..?

I suspect the CPU is bottlenecking the discrete GPU so OCing the GPU will have no effect 😞

OCing the CPU would help...:)

Yeah I did not wee this combination either. Figured maybe it was just outdated or something. Maybe the integrated and discrete need to be similar to be linked together?

I did O/C my CPU to 3500 from the original 3000. It hit 72 degrees (C) a couple times, which if I understand correctly- is too hot for my CPU. So, I went down to 3300 which runs a bit cooler. I think I'm seeing a little better performance while in-game. I don't seem to get the FPS drops as much.

I will look this up today, but what is this bottlenecking I keep hearing about? Is that like the CPU only allowing the GPU to perform at a certain level?

Last night I played quite a bit with the O/C'd CPU (3300) and O/C'd GPU (1195/5400). I will compare the difference between that preset (1120) and my clock (1195). See if the 1195 gives me more than a 1 FPS increase lol. To be honest, I don't even know if that MHz increase would normally yield much of a gain. Would love any insight into this still. Even if it's just for my knowledge bank.

Thanks Arne!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, I think the two GPUs have to be similar architecture/models/generations whatever to be successfully run as dual graphics.

And yes, bottleneck in this case just means that the GPU can supply more info than the CPU can handle. So, the weakest link in the chain as it were is the CPU.
If the CPU is holding the GPU back a bit and you test, I think you should see that GPU OC and stock CPU don't produce results but stock GPU and OCd CPU will give better results....how much I am not sure and of course will depend on the game etc.