cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double post when setting ram to 3200 mhz & Ryzen overclocked by itself

Tuning_Legend
Level 7
As the title says if i set my corsair ram(CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W) to 3200 my pc will double post everytime i turn it on or i would restart it.
This is my first PC and I've learned everything by myself from the web so there might by something i'm missing out. I'm running the latest bios Version 3401 so that couldn't be the problem. At the moment my ram is running flowlesly at 3066mhz, but since it's capable to hit 3200mhz i would like to exploit all of it's power. The memory it's on the official qvl page so i really don't know if this might be a ram problem because after the pc does the double post i can use my system without any problems... I've setted the ram manually with all the right timings and the ai overclock tuner is set to default.

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.4GHz, Turbo Boost 3.7 GHz
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1060 Xtreme Edition 6G rev. 2.0
RAM: 16 GB 3200 Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
PSU: Corsair CX600, 80 Plus Bronze
SSD: Kingston UV400 480 GB
Fans: 2 x Corsair ML 120 + 2 x Phanteks 120
Resolution: 1600x900, 60Hz

The other changes i made from the bios beside changing the ram frequency are:

• custom qfan profiles with 20 sec offsets for the dual corsair case fans, silent for the 2 phanteks ones and turbo for the cpu stock cooler
  • enabled erp to s4+s5

Another strange thing i have noticed is that my cpu in the bios it says it's running at 3.2 ghz, but if i open cpu-z or i do any benchmark he actually runs at 3.4 ghz on all cores(when needed) and turbo boosts at 3.7 ghz(instead of the 3.6ghz stated on amd website). Is this because i'm using the ram at 3066? I'm actually ok with the extra speed since it's stable, but i would like to know the reason behind it. Is it normal for ryzen 1600 to have temperature spikes from 6 to 10°C even if it's idling? Also what's the best software for temperature monitoring since the bios gives a temperature, msi afterburner gives another one, aida64 another one, speecy another one and so on....
5 REPLIES 5

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Depending on settings double booting is normal. Some overclock settings require EC programming to be done in two steps.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Depending on settings double booting is normal. Some overclock settings require EC programming to be done in two steps.

So what you are saying is that i can't use 3200 mhz with a normal boot? :confused:

anyone?

Still needing help over here... Someone? Anyone?!?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Tuning Legend 🙂

As Praz has said, the double cold boot is a normal boot for some overclocked settings. It's not a bad thing...

BIOS states the default speed of the processor...i.e. AMD specs but if the CPU finds itself comfortable to do so, WRT temps power and load, it will boost higher than spec on these boards...the AMD SenseMI technology...etc

The temp spikes are normal yes...the CPU is never really idle...all sorts of processes run and CPU will ramp clocks up and down a bit.

HWiNFO is a good and detailed monitor....as always don't run multiple programs of this type at the same time...can lead to sensor/reading errors....