cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directcu ii R9 290x issues, please help!!

WarGasimXD
Level 7
Hey guys jsut wanted to see if I could get some input from you on regards of my new asus directcu ii R9 290x, I sold my reference design one that was a xfx OC black edition because of the heat issues and figure it was because of it being reference. Well the directcu ii actually runs a little hotter hahhahahh. Idle I'm at 45-48 full load after 30 minutes of BF4 is 83-86, my xfx reference was 39-40 idle and under full load BF4 only 77-80, how is that?? Any ideas beforefor I return it to newegg to get another brand.
below is my setup:

4770k / corsair H110
Corsair air 540 case
corsair platinum 2400 16GB
Corsair ax1200i PSU
8,057 Views
13 REPLIES 13

PowerOver9K
Level 9
WarGasimXD wrote:
Hey guys jsut wanted to see if I could get some input from you on regards of my new asus directcu ii R9 290x, I sold my reference design one that was a xfx OC black edition because of the heat issues and figure it was because of it being reference. Well the directcu ii actually runs a little hotter hahhahahh. Idle I'm at 45-48 full load after 30 minutes of BF4 is 83-86, my xfx reference was 39-40 idle and under full load BF4 only 77-80, how is that?? Any ideas beforefor I return it to newegg to get another brand.
below is my setup:

4770k / corsair H110
Corsair air 540 case
corsair platinum 2400 16GB
Corsair ax1200i PSU



Looks about right to me for the Direct CUII. Your XFX may have had something going funky with it's thermal sensors.

Air 540.. What fans are going in and what are blowing out?

I'm worried about your case airflow.

Also, 1200i? One video card? Really? You can run 3.5 stock 290X on a 1200i...
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

WarGasimXD
Level 7
Yea I plan on going with a second 290x thats why I went with a 1200i. I got 3 120mm on the front as intake, 1 140mm on the back as exhaust and then the corsair H110 on the top as a exhaust. I have a buddy of mine that has as reference design also and is getting the same temps as my directcuii which doesnt make sense to me and what do you mean by 3.5 stock? if you referring to my CPU, im running @ 4.6

WarGasimXD wrote:
Yea I plan on going with a second 290x thats why I went with a 1200i. I got 3 120mm on the front as intake, 1 140mm on the back as exhaust and then the corsair H110 on the top as a exhaust. I have a buddy of mine that has as reference design also and is getting the same temps as my directcuii which doesnt make sense to me and what do you mean by 3.5 stock? if you referring to my CPU, im running @ 4.6


What I'm saying is 1200i can run 3 and a half 290X's on it with stock clocks. It's Overkill! You can run XFire 290X on a 850W.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K wrote:
What I'm saying is 1200i can run 3 and a half 290X's on it with stock clocks. It's Overkill! You can run XFire 290X on a 850W.


I got the 1200i for $180 new unopened so I could not pass on it 🙂

Zka17
Level 16
As I heard, the 290X is running pretty hot... reference design certainly...

The DCII has a factory OC on it? That may explain running at the same temps... however, have you tried to crank up the fan speeds?

Also, play attention to the fact that all the DCII coolers exhausts inside the case... meaning that the hot air leaving the VGA goes through the top mounted radiator if its fans are set to exhaust...

Zka17 wrote:
As I heard, the 290X is running pretty hot... reference design certainly...

The DCII has a factory OC on it? That may explain running at the same temps... however, have you tried to crank up the fan speeds?

Also, play attention to the fact that all the DCII coolers exhausts inside the case... meaning that the hot air leaving the VGA goes through the top mounted radiator if its fans are set to exhaust...


the directcu ii has the same stock OC as the xFx reference oc black edition does and the xFx reference is running cooler. And yes the heat is exhausting out hte back and through the top mounted radiator. The temps on the cpu are fine with ti setup like that oc'd @ 4.6 max temps in bf4 55-58 and idle temps 25-28c, its delidded 4770k 🙂

Zka17
Level 16
But have you adjusted the fans on the DCII?

No worries with the 1200i - at least you have some headroom now... 🙂

Zka17 wrote:
But have you adjusted the fans on the DCII?

No worries with the 1200i - at least you have some headroom now... 🙂


Yea I have a fan curve setup using MSI after burner, right now I have it set at 50% til it hits 60c then it goes up to match each temp, example 70c I have it at 70% @ 80c I have it @ 80%. I have noticed that running the fan speed @ 60% at all times the temps are no different then me runnign hte fan speed @ 80% but only by 2c

Zka17
Level 16
Well, then maybe you need some more serious cooling...