Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimm (and maybe Dumb) Question?

Level 7
I have had a recurring crash/freeze problem with a computer I built in January. I have a Maximus Formula VI and ASUS GTX780 in the build with Corsair H100i cooling. I thought I had eliminated the Dimm's as a source of the problem but since I was still having the same recurring problem, after trying virtually everything else, I decided to rerun Memtest86+. I ran both Dimms together and then each Dimm separately in each of the two red slots. I received errors when both Dimms were installed and then errors when Dimm 2 was in the second slot. Dimm 1 was fine in both and Dimm 2 ran for 11 passes error free in the first slot. ?? I have since run Dimm 1 for a few days in both of the red slots separately and no errors. So I think the motherboard is ok, and it is the second Dimm that is faulty, although it would have been nice to see it show errors in the first slot as well.

Here is my question. The memory is
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866 (PC3 14900) F3-1866C8D-16GTX

I contacted GSkill and I can RMA the memory to GSkill but I would be without the use of my computer for 1-2 weeks. They will not allow me to keep one stick and then send me a matched pair, with me then returning the remaining original, even if I give them a credit card number as security. Only options are:

1) Return only the faulty Dimm and I use remaining Dimm in the meantime and they send me a new single stick. Problem is it may not pair up with my existing Dimm. (How likely is this?)
2) Return both and get a matched pair but no computer for 1-2 weeks. (Not really a preferred option)
3) Buy another two Dimms of the same type and use them while returning my existing two. I then get a matched pair back, but the question is will the two pairs work properly in a 4 Dimm 32GB configuration afterwards, and is this worth the extra expense?

Any help would be appreciated. If anyone has any other options that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Level 40
Hi DrJeff

Although that platform is more forgiving when mixing kits of RAM than say X79 it is still a risky thing to do and might mean you have to do a lot of tweaking and running kits at less than optimal settings or worst case more problems of the same kind you have now. So, all in all I would take the downtime if you can do it and if not sure, get the second kit while you send off this one. That way you have a working rig and then you can try to add the second. If you have problems maybe sell it on.

The other alternative of sending one stick and getting one in return is the worst option I reckon.

Thanks for the reply Arne.

That is what I thought, I just really didn't want to be without the use of my computer until I get the Dimms back. 😞

I am also not sure that buying another set, which may or may not end up not working with the set I get back from GSkill, is worth a couple of hundred bucks.

I just hope that this solves my problem, especially after going without a working computer for a week!

Thanks again for the input.

Level 40
I would say not worth it is just a gamble weather it works or not. 1866 is not so high a frequency and increases your chances of getting away with it but still a lottery. Shame G.Skill wont cross ship you a set...

Level 13
You could buy a less expensive 4 gig kit to use while you RMA the good kit. You would than have a backup or sell it

Level 7
Yes, I can't believe that a big company like GSkills won't cross ship either...I even offered to give them my charge card as collateral!

Thanks for the suggestion Meankeys, I thought of that too, but it really is just a waste of money in the end. Guess I will just have to hope that they ship me the new set ASAP.

Thanks for the responses.

Level 40
Do post back once you have your new kit of ram and tell us how it turned out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.