cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily OC on i7 13700k became unstable after BIOS update

S3se
Level 8

Hi everyone. At the end of February I tweaked a small OC to my i7 13700k. Just 55x to p-cores and 44x to e-cores. Also I enabled xmp 1 profile and did a small undervolt with -0.01V on adaptive voltage. Everything was stable and I could rerun Cinebench r23 again and again. After BIOS update the same settings became unstable and Cinebench keep crashing just on the start of multicore test. Few days ago I updated BIOS to the newest version 0904 and still the same thing. Could somebody answer me what could be a possible reason?
My setup:
Cpu: i7 13700k
Motherboard: asus rog strix z790-f wifi
Ram: G.Skill DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 6000 Mhz Trident Z5 RGB Black (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK)

29 REPLIES 29

Nate152

Hello S3se 

What I'd do is, reset the bios to defaults, enable X.M.P. and try cinebench.

If it passes, then your mild cpu overclock isn't quite stable.

Hi Nate152

Yeah, i tried different configurations. With all default settings in bios cinebench r23 stress test passes normaly. Then I enabled xmp and also cinebench passed normally. After that i decided to set 54x on p-cores and 43x on e-cores with llc level 4 and it passed the test too. 

The very one really confusing thing that even if i set 55x and 44x and set llc to 5, cinebench just crashes after a few seconds. Voltage on cores during those few seconds of test was 1.280-1.289. Meanwhile on some oc videos where guys set 56x on p cores and 44x on e cores, their 13700k passed cinebench with lower voltage. Their average was ~1.272. So, I'm still confused. Am I really unlucky with silicon?

Are you syncing all cores to 55x and 44x or are you doing per core?

If you're syncing all cores, you'll need more voltage.

Yes, I sync to all cores. Recently I tried with +0.2 offset on adaptive voltage, during some seconds before crashing I saw voltage between 1.295-1.310. As I mentioned in first post, I could set 55x and 44x sync all cores before updating to new versions of BIOS. As I remember, average voltage on cores was 1.278. But for now even with plus offset and higher voltage as a result, system can't pass cinebench test.

Nate152

In this case, you can roll back to the bios version that was more stable for you and wait for future updates.

Thanks for answer. That's not something critical for me, just my curiosity and experimenting. But still it's strange behaviour. I don't know what could be a reason and I can't do even a small oc. I'll keep waiting for new updates

S3se
Level 8

Ok, now I'm completely upset. I really don't know what is going on. I downgraded to the BIOS version I had when I firstly launched this pc, version is 0703 and the same thing happens with cinebench! Set 55x sync all cores on p-cores and just crashes everytime even with 1.297V on cores. Tried freshly installed cinebench r23 and that didn't help

Nate152

When overclocking, it's probably better to enter the voltage manually rather than just using offsets.

Try entering in 1.31v with LLC at level 6 then try Cinebench. Monitor the maximum voltage, it should be at or close to 1.31v.

If the maximum voltage is higher than 1.31v, lower LLC a step.

If the maximum voltage is lower than 1.31v, raise LLC a step.

If it's still crashing, give it a little more voltage up to 1.35v and see if it passes. Only overclock the P-cores for now, get the P-cores stable first then overclock the E-cores.

Cpu core voltage override.png

Vcore.png

Thanks, previously I only did oc with adaptive voltage. I will try your advise and reply soon