cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Formula-z quick question.

MAXXHEW
Level 7
Hello, I am first time builder using the Crosshair formula-z board. I have just about completed the entire build but I am still waiting on the monitor and keyboard to be delivered. One little thing I can't figure out is, how does the motherboard speaker install on the board (if I'm looking at the board in the case in the vertical position)? The speaker has 2 wires (1black-,1 red+) and I don't know if the black- goes on the right pin or left pin of the board. Sorry to ask such a simple question, but the manual doesn't show or describe which pin is the ground and the board isn't marked + or - at the speaker connection. Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.
CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced, ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z, AMD FX-8350, CM Seidon 120M, G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 CL9 w/ turbulence 2 cooler, SAPPhIRE RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Special Edition, WD Blue 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Sony Optiarc 5280S-CB-Plus, Seasonic SS860XP2, 120m CM SickleFlow (x2) & 120m CM JetFlow (x2), CM Devastator (Red LED), CM Storm Spawn, ASUS VN247H-P, Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD-360, JBL J-88, Razer Kraken Pro, Logitech C920, Canon PIXMA MX922
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries mate. If you look in the box that comes with the mobo you will see a clear plastic packet with quick connect block. It is white.

That is what you use to fit all your cables headers on - pwr reset and the speaker too. And simply pop it on the board when done
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

MAXXHEW
Level 7
I didn't use that little white add in piece, I thought it was optional. I just connected all those little wires directly to the pins. Even if I use the little white spacer thing, it still isn't marked which is the ground wire. Does anyone know if the right pin on the board is + or -, or does it really even matter?
CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced, ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z, AMD FX-8350, CM Seidon 120M, G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 CL9 w/ turbulence 2 cooler, SAPPhIRE RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Special Edition, WD Blue 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Sony Optiarc 5280S-CB-Plus, Seasonic SS860XP2, 120m CM SickleFlow (x2) & 120m CM JetFlow (x2), CM Devastator (Red LED), CM Storm Spawn, ASUS VN247H-P, Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD-360, JBL J-88, Razer Kraken Pro, Logitech C920, Canon PIXMA MX922

Poco_OM
Level 10
It's optional, but it makes life very easy. One off those RoG features that once used, will make you see the beauty of simplicity.

Ok, I kinda see what you mean. We should add 1 more optional step into the process of connection to make it easier. Well I'm new, and probably just assembling it the hard way (by skipping that simple step with the little white connector). I was being a derp and connecting wires directly to the motherboard. Ok... so now which way does the speaker connect to the little white piece? I still don't know which pins connects to the red and the black speaker wires. I'm thinking now to just skip the speaker altogether. But before I make that decision, does anybody know which side the black wire connects to if you are looking straight at the pins? Or if somebody can maybe please link a color picture or video here that shows. I really want to hear my first pc build make it's first peep.

Thanks Myk SilentShadow for reminding me it's called Q-connector. I just searched "Q-connector" and found many pictures of how to install it. Thanks guys... and sorry for asking such a derp question.

MAXXHEW wrote:
Thanks Myk SilentShadow for reminding me it's called Q-connector. I just searched "Q-connector" and found many pictures of how to install it. Thanks guys... and sorry for asking such a derp question.

All good mate, that's why we're here 🙂

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
It does indeed matter and if you don't use the Q-Connector, grab it and look at it and just place it next to the header and look at the speaker connectors and that will answer for you your question, or the other easier way to to have a look through your manual, you'll find the answer there too 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
There are no derp questions just derp answers. You ask all you like mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan: your avatar reminds me of a really dark and scary Herobrine, wearing his brother Notchs' hat, and standing on top of a mountain of redstone. Thanks for your help again guys.