cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Raid 0 arrays - Combination of Onboard Sata + pcie Sata controller

itzmactruck
Level 7
Fellow ROGers:
I've recently found out that i can only run a bootable raid array on 2 of my 4 onboard sata 6gb ports as the other 2 are Asmedia....uber gay.

Im just wondering whether I can create a raid 0 array with (4) SSD's using a combination of 2 connnected to Sata 6gb ports
on my MB and the other 2 connected to sata 6gb ports on a pcie sata card.

Will my system pretend that the ports on the pcie sata card are part of the board and allow me to create and array with the other 2 drives
connected to MB sata 6gb ports?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mac.

SPECS:

ASUS R4E MB
I7 3930K @ 4.4GHZ
64GB DDR3 1600
WIN7 PRO X64
(2) GTX680
8 REPLIES 8

Praz
Level 13
Hello

This can only be done as an operating system created array. However, configured like this the array will not be bootable.

brutal. So essentially the only way to create a bootable array with (4) ssd's would be to find a motherboard with (4) RSTe supported sata ports?

Hey Praz, will i be able to boot if i created an array with all 4 ssds running off the pcie sata card? Please let me know.

itzmactruck wrote:
Hey Praz, will i be able to boot if i created an array with all 4 ssds running off the pcie sata card? Please let me know.

Hello

Only if the PCIe SATA card allows it.

Cool Thanks for your help!

itzmactruck
Level 7
Brutal. So essentially the only way to create a bootable array with (4) ssd's would be to find a motherboard with (4) RSTe supported sata ports?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

You're welcome. 🙂

Korth
Level 14
On the Asus R4E:
- the X79 chipset provides two red SATA6Gbps ports and four black SATA3Gbps ports, which all support RAID(0,1,5,10).
- the ASMedia chipset adds two red SATA6Gbps ports and two red eSATA6Gbps ports, which all support AHCI only.

At most you could make a bootable 2xSATA6 RAID, a bootable 4xSATA3 RAID, and (on the ASMedia ports) a nonbootable 2xSATA6 software RAID. PCIe-based storage devices can only be configured within nonbootable software RAIDs, unless they happen to interface directly into the X79 SATA ports.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]