cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Turns on then off then loads to Desktop... something wrong?

heeroyuy25
Level 7
Hello Guys,

I have a question, i'm not sure if this is normal. I have overclock my system to 4.5 @ 1.280v and system works fine. I followed the tutorial on youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI. now, every time i turn off my computer for the night and when I say turn off I really turn off the switch of my psu to off. next day, I turn it on, it turns on, then off, then loads my OS. it does this everytime. i'm not sure if its normal or not. what do you guys think? is this normal?

here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXm61zRLVpY

MY SPECS:
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Water/Liquid Cooler 280mm
Motherboard: ROG Asus Maximus VI Formula LGA 1150 Z87
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1866 DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics Card: Asus GTX770 2GB 254-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP SLI Ready OC Edition
HDD: Corsair Neutron Series GTX SSD 256GB SATA 3
Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray Burner SATA
Chassis: Coolermaster Storm Stryker
Power Supply: Corsair AX Series AX860W Full Modular ATX
9 REPLIES 9

NemesisChild
Level 12
A couple of things:
1. You shutdown the OS through Windows, then switch the PSU to off?
2. When you power up again, it then goes off, do you mean the bios tries to post, then reboots?
Not sure I follow you here, sorry about that.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

heeroyuy25
Level 7
Hi There,

thanks for the reply. number 1 question is correct. I shutdown the os through windows then switch the PSU off. number 2 question, once I turn it on, bios will not try to post. the system runs for a couple of seconds then shuts off then turns back on then POST, windows, everything good to go. not sure if that's normal. here's a video I took.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG3tYWU0eaw

by the way, if I change back the settings to normal (no overclocking). my system wont behave like that on the video I posted.

NemesisChild
Level 12
When you shut off power to the board, the bios is undoubtedly going through a relearning mode again.
Just like when you make make major hardware changes, the bios reboots a couple of times.
Do you really need to turn off the PSU when you shutdown Windows?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

i see, i dont really need to turn off the PSU if necessary. I turn it off because i was thinking doing that is the correct way power off the system. am i wrong? once I shut down my system through windows i can just leave the PSU on? that's safe right? sorry for all the questions.

heeroyuy25 wrote:
i see, i dont really need to turn off the PSU if necessary. I turn it off because i was thinking doing that is the correct way power off the system. am i wrong? once I shut down my system through windows i can just leave the PSU on? that's safe right? sorry for all the questions.

you really dont need to turn your computer off at all.. unless your trying to save energy. I dont think ive ever turned my computer off for any reason other then opening it up to tinker around. You can just leave your computer on

just want to make it clear. when you say not turning off your computer, your talking about not shutting off the PSU correct? my PSU got an on and off switch.... so just leave it on if I shut down windows?

Chino
Level 15
The double posting is normal when you've turned off the PSU. During this double posting process, your motherboard is retraining the memory. Normally you don't need to switch off your PSU because modern PSU draw next to nothing when not in use. I don't see the need to switching off the PSU unless you're going away for a long vacation where you won't use your computer for an extended period or there is a storm.

Chino wrote:
The double posting is normal when you've turned off the PSU. During this double posting process, your motherboard is retraining the memory. Normally you don't need to switch off your PSU because modern PSU draw next to nothing when not in use. I don't see the need to switching off the PSU unless you're going away for a long vacation where you won't use your computer for an extended period or there is a storm.

alright. thank you very much guys for all the information. i really appreciate it. thanks.