Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Hanging on shutdown and wont install anything

alyraver
Level 10
Hi all

Wandering if someone can help

Ok - recently did a fresh UEFI install of Win 7

All was working ok, except I noticed that my monitor - Dell S2716DG randomly flashes black - happens completely randomly - I checked I had the latest NVidia drivers for the titan x, and I also checked by rocking the tower if maybe a connection was loose - but didn't show any signs of the problem when I moved the tower.??
It never did this previously and I have tested the monitor with a ps4 and it was fine

The second thing is my USB keyboard randomly wont connect - i.e when I get in to Windows its as if the Keyboard is unplugged - I try plugging in to another USB port - but still no luck. Then I try another port but also try resetting the computer, but the computer just hangs continuously - I have to physically hit the reset button. After doing that the pc restarts and if im lucky the keyboard has connected.
I have another keyboard and it does exact same thing.

I have a funny feeling its something to do with the Chipset drivers but is there anyone that can help me out? I tried going to Asus and getting the Chipset driver from them, but when I went to install it said I had a newer version already? and did I want to install anyway>? I clicked yes but it just did the constant loop/install thing again.
Everything is set to auto in 'Device installation settings' too?

The computer wont install anything now or hardware/drivers for any USB ports - it continuously just searches and crashes - when I got to power off it wont shut down just hands constantly

I also tried installing a different graphics driver (earlier driver to see if that helps) and it just never installs just loops over on the installation window and I then have to shut it of by mains to get it to turn off.
Even in safe mode it won't shut down !!
800D/Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition/i73930K @ 5.2/ Kingston Hyper X Beast 32GB 2400/ STRIX 1080TI OC, EK Nickel Plexi CPU block, No Rad + No Fans :D, Alphacool D5 Pump.. HC 500A chiller @ 4C - Max load temp @ 5.2 = 55c. Lowest Core Idle Temp = 3c
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi alyraver 😉 This can be one of a number of things.

Sounds to me that your OS has not installed properly. How did you install? Verify your media installation disk or obtain a fresh ISO file.
Try "SFC /scannow" without the quotation marks, in an elevated command prompt, to see if you have any corrupted files in your OS.
If it reports back that some files were corrupt and could not fix them, then do a fresh OS install.
Clear your CMOS and update to latest Bios, if you have not done so already.
Once installation is complete, make sure service packs and drivers are updated.

You could try Windows 10, go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi alyraver 😉 This can be one of a number of things.

Sounds to me that your OS has not installed properly. How did you install? Verify your media installation disk or obtain a fresh ISO file.
Try "SFC /scannow" without the quotation marks, in an elevated command prompt, to see if you have any corrupted files in your OS.
If it reports back that some files were corrupt and could not fix them, then do a fresh OS install.
Clear your CMOS and update to latest Bios, if you have not done so already.
Once installation is complete, make sure service packs and drivers are updated.

You could try Windows 10, go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Thanks for the reply dude.

I installed with the CD and did a clean UEFI install on a fresh 840pro.
I forgot to say I did the SFC /Scannow check a few times and all came back good.

Haven't had much chance to look at it due to work.

Other than the BIOS is there anything else I can check? Should I post some logs up from the event manager?

I have a funny feeling it may be a weird Win 7 update that is causing this issue. A few weeks ago Win 7 updated as normal, but after shutting down and then logging back on the following day, I got a weird message saying

"The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system, or UEFI drivers"

So I ended up wiping the SSD and doing a clean install (thinking it was something to do with the Synapse software from Razer :/)

After doing a fresh install I followed this video to sort the booting out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rNv7xOrKg

And that's when the problems started

Cheers
800D/Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition/i73930K @ 5.2/ Kingston Hyper X Beast 32GB 2400/ STRIX 1080TI OC, EK Nickel Plexi CPU block, No Rad + No Fans :D, Alphacool D5 Pump.. HC 500A chiller @ 4C - Max load temp @ 5.2 = 55c. Lowest Core Idle Temp = 3c

MeanMachine
Level 13
Are you saying that by disabling secure boot, you are now having further issues? or is this "The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system, or UEFI drivers"
happened since?
Disabling secure boot in Bios has helped others with your problem. Maybe the last update introduced a security update.
Go to Bios, open boot menu>Secure Boot and change to >other OS.

By all means, post your event manager logs if issues have been found.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]