cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Start Code: BD Detect Memory in R6E

henriamolv
Level 7
I have a Rampage VI Extreme and a CPU Core i9 7900x with overcloking @4.8GHZ and Quad Memory XPG 4133 working in XMP profile @4000.. they are with 1.392v. The CPU is stable 1.247v and working fine with games and Windows normally.

But during the POST i'm with o debug code: BD Detect Memory successively.
I already changed the VCCIO / VCCSA and the problem continues 😞

I need turn the pc on and off (force off) several times for it to post correctly with the overclock profile or bootup in Boot Override inside BIOS.
any other solution to resolve code:BD detect memory?
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

This is a memory training code. The applied overclock settings are not stable enough to pass POST stress tests consistently. Try firstly increasing the DRAM voltage to 1.45v.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hello,

I did test and changed the four channels to 1.45v, saved and restarted. Made the POST normal but after turning off the PC and turning it on again moments later the BD Code appeared and the PC didn't make the POST. 😞

Current parameters:
VCCIO = 1.15v
VCCSA = 1.10v
DDR4 = 1.45v
CPU = 1.24v @4.8GHZ

any other suggestions?

henriamolv wrote:
Hello,

I did test and changed the four channels to 1.45v, saved and restarted. Made the POST normal but after turning off the PC and turning it on again moments later the BD Code appeared and the PC didn't make the POST. 😞

Current parameters:
VCCIO = 1.15v
VCCSA = 1.10v
DDR4 = 1.45v
CPU = 1.24v @4.8GHZ

any other suggestions?

BD can also be VCCSA related. This platform is sensitive on these signal rails, so you'll need to adjust the value till the cold boot issue desists. 4K can be tough for those CPU in certain configs. Each CPU is different and more can be just as detrimental as too little, so make sure to test methodically. Try not to exceed 1.2v.

If continuing to have difficulty, you may have to reduce the memory frequency or relax some timings.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
BD can also be VCCSA related. This platform is sensitive on these signal rails, so you'll need to adjust the value till the cold boot issue desists. 4K can be tough for those CPU in certain configs. Each CPU is different and more can be just as detrimental as too little, so make sure to test methodically. Try not to exceed 1.2v.

If continuing to have difficulty, you may have to reduce the memory frequency or relax some timings.

How to reduce more the VCCSA? I realize that VCCSA is with 1.015 changed but on the left the frequency is much higher 1.040v probably changed by the MB itself.

henriamolv wrote:
How to reduce more the VCCSA? I realize that VCCSA is with 1.015 changed but on the left the frequency is much higher 1.040v probably changed by the MB itself.

Hello,

If in AUTO the auto rules will scale the voltage in accordance with memory frequency. Select manual and input the desired value.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Its more of a memory controller on your CPU. Hitting 4000 consistently is a pipe dream on the IMC. I have one of two choices on a R6EE. 3600 with a lower latency or 3800 with a higher latency. Or just way lower on both. 4000 isn't happening on my 10980XE. Board is capable but the IMC on the chips are not. I get better results/performance at 3600 CL15 than I do 3800 CL18 running corsair dominator platinum 8x8GB and two different kits. The 3800 kit wont budge from XMP except backwards with lower speed but the latency wont change. The 3600 wont go up in speed but I can lower the latency from CL18 to CL15.

BigJohnny wrote:
Its more of a memory controller on your CPU. Hitting 4000 consistently is a pipe dream on the IMC. I have one of two choices on a R6EE. 3600 with a lower latency or 3800 with a higher latency. Or just way lower on both. 4000 isn't happening on my 10980XE. Board is capable but the IMC on the chips are not. I get better results/performance at 3600 CL15 than I do 3800 CL18 running corsair dominator platinum 8x8GB and two different kits. The 3800 kit wont budge from XMP except backwards with lower speed but the latency wont change. The 3600 wont go up in speed but I can lower the latency from CL18 to CL15.

it seems that if the FSB DRAM ratio is greater than 60:3 it brings greater stability. now I have an 80:4 ratio. Yesterday I didn't have any "cold bug BD: detect memory" But today, I already had one unsuccessful start.

Too bad to know that with a 10980XE it also brings BD detect memory. I believed that the new 10th could be more stable with frequencies above 4000 in R6E.