cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging Port Loose / Not Keeping Connection

xbi0s
Level 7
Hey All -

I picked up my G46VW on December 30th and have been very happy with it's performance and portability.

About a week/two weeks ago, I noticed my battery was not charging when plugged in. I checked the cable and block and saw that it was carrying power. I then went to plug it back into my laptop and saw the charging light kick on then back off.

Now, I need to have the cable placed "just right" in the charging port and sometimes move it around to get the charging connection. I have been trying to put it off -- as I do not want to go without my laptop -- but am thinking I need to RMA this unit?

Just looking for thoughts... Then the RMA process for Asus...

:mad:
11 REPLIES 11

labdweller
Level 7
I got this laptop a few months ago and ran into the same problem. After testing the end of the power cord with a voltmeter and getting the expected 19V bias, I figured the problem was inside of the computer. So I opened it up, which is not a very easy process, but is well documented on youtube by other users looking to install mSATA drives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Ut1FGFj0s

After pulling out the motherboard and inspecting it with the voltmeter, it seems that the problem is not the jack itself but the connection to the board; the solder was gone and the connector was waving around in the metal ring, hence the fact that wiggling will sometimes establish contact. Ended up having the re-solder the connection on the back of the motherboard. I put a big glob, so hopefully it will last.

This is a quite involved fix, but faster and way cheaper than asking ASUS to do it out of warranty. It's easy to get mad at ASUS for the problem, but this is quite common on many of these round connectors; the consistent wiggling and twisted will make the jack knock off the solder as opposed to a well-secured asymmetrical solution. Faulty design really.

shriganesh1987
Level 7
I am having same issue. Its already more than a month I complained and it is not repaired yet! Worst service for expensive laptops
laptop - G551JK