cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed SSD Setup, POST time quadrupled?

VanGoghComplex
Level 7
Hi all!

So, I went from this configuration:

Windows 7 on 240GB Corsair Force SSD
Backup/Storage HDD

To this:

Windows 7 on 128GB Sandisk SSD,
Game Drive is Raid-0 Array made of two Corsair Force SSDs,
Backup/Storage HDD

As soon as I got into the Raid setup and assigned the two drives, my POST time has gone from the 3 second defined in the BIOS menu to something like 12 seconds. Is this just something that happens when you do Raid?
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip that is what will happen when you go RAID
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'm just trying to learn here, but if Raid 0 increases boot up time, that seems ok, but shouldn't Raid 0 increase performance of the SSDs while using? Isn't that the reason for Raid 0?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

billyray520 wrote:
I'm just trying to learn here, but if Raid 0 increases boot up time, that seems ok, but shouldn't Raid 0 increase performance of the SSDs while using? Isn't that the reason for Raid 0?

Had to re-read your question twice, but yes in a nutshell the reason for RAID0 is loading times of software mate. The reason RAID adds time to boot up sequence, is because the board's RAID ROM is being loaded into RAM, before Windows loads 🙂

Thanks Myk! Then as a follow up, isn't there better performance from a hardware setup Raid 0 as opposed to a software one? For example the g750 has built in Raid 0 in hardware, no?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

VanGoghComplex
Level 7
Billyray, can't speak to hardware or software Raid, but I can confirm: my games spend -way- less time in loading screens than they ever have, even with one high-speed SSD.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I can not speak for notebooks with built in RAID but certainly a RAID 0 will load your games and other applications way quicker than a single SSD. But the trade off with a component motherboard is the slight increase in post time. However I can not recall when last I powered down my system. I guess I must as my OS updates do sometimes require a restart.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.