cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't POST with 4x32GB Corsair Dominator 5200Mhz DDR5 on z690 Maximus Extreme

jbmerrill1954
Level 7
Hello,

I've had to pull half of my RAM modules out to be able to POST consistently / stably on the z690 Extreme. I can get 4x32GB to POST, but it takes a very long time, and I usually must cycle power. I've contacted Asus and Corsair, and all they can say is you can't use 2 kits simultaneously. This means there is no way possible to run 128GB that the motherboard advertises as being capable of.

Does anyone know of BIOS settings that might make this possible.? I have tried setting pmic to sync by per module, but that does not help. I have also tried increasing voltages and lowering frequency.

This is all a bit ridiculous that Asus claims the board supports 128Gb, when in fact it does not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what additional information I should supply.

Thanks for your time and help.

B.
14 REPLIES 14

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Could you please at least state which memory kit?

The board supports 128GB no problem. Where users come unstuck is usually either by combining memory kits, or have the mindset that memory ran outside of reference spec is guaranteed to work.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

The memory kit is Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 5200Mhz: CMT64GX5M2B5200C40

I have 2 of these kits because there is no such thing as a single 128GB 4x32GB kit of DDR5, nor a single kit of 2x64GB modules.

I have tried XMP I and XMP II profiles as well as non-xmp and lowered the frequency as well as increased the dram, system agent, and memory controller voltages, to no avail.

Let me know if there is anything else I can add that will help.

Thanks very much for your reply.

B.

jbmerrill1954 wrote:
The memory kit is Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 5200Mhz: CMT64GX5M2B5200C40

I have 2 of these kits because there is no such thing as a single 128GB 4x32GB kit of DDR5, nor a single kit of 2x64GB modules.

I have tried XMP I and XMP II profiles as well as non-xmp and lowered the frequency as well as increased the dram, system agent, and memory controller voltages, to no avail.

Let me know if there is anything else I can add that will help.

Thanks very much for your reply.

B.

Combining kits isn’t supported by the memory or motherboard vendor. Memory kits are binned in the density in which they are sold in. Remove one kit and retest XMP settings.

Then why does Asus claim this board is capable of running 128GB of memory? If there is no such thing as a single kit of either 4x32GB or 2x64GB, then it can't run 128GB. Am I missing something? I have been forced to remove one kit as my post describes.

jbmerrill1954 wrote:
Then why does Asus claim this board is capable of running 128GB of memory? If there is no such thing as a single kit of either 4x32GB or 2x64GB, then it can't run 128GB. Am I missing something? I have been forced to remove one kit as my post describes.

For Asus point of view, it did mention and documented it supported 128GB memory ram, which in the event you are using Windows PRO version or Enterprise series which also indicated by Mircrosft windows platform.

Having said thay, you need a memeory kit capable running as 4 X 32GB quad pair. different memory pair module may not match while the production line in different batches, different version. Each corsair memory pair ram from the same retailer cannot guarantee will be the same in term of productio date, IC part and version. Hence we need to be very caution on this issue.

To reiterate, there is no such thing as a 128GB single kit of quality DDR5 ram that I am aware of. That said then, if it is required for running that much memory, why does the board advertise as being capable of it? Very confusing and frustrating! I hope I understand this issue correctly.

jbmerrill1954 wrote:
To reiterate, there is no such thing as a 128GB single kit of quality DDR5 ram that I am aware of. That said then, if it is required for running that much memory, why does the board advertise as being capable of it? Very confusing and frustrating! I hope I understand this issue correctly.

Asus or other mobo manufacturer supported 128GB memory module, that does not meant the memory module manufacturer will or want to produce such memory module due to demand and supplied according to their own maketing strategic. It all about supply and demand factor.

jbmerrill1954 wrote:

A-Tech Memory released a DDR5 128GB Kit (4 x 32 GB Modules) back on June 6, 2022. https://www.newegg.com/a-tech-128gb/p/0RN-005A-00SS3?Description=ddr5%20memory&cm_re=ddr5_memory-_-9...

It's DDR5 4800 MHz 1.1V CL40. If you have a strong IMC the kit most likely would boot into Windows in XMP 1 stable.

If so than you could adjust voltages, slowly tighten primary's and let system train.

The goal would be reaching CL32 @ 4800MHz 1.10V - 1.24V +/- stable.

If you can't get 4X32GB stable at 4800, than you will need to try 4400, 4000, or even 3600 depending on you IMC.

Personally today running DDR5, if I needed 128GB system memory, I would be more optimistic with waiting on 4800MHz 64GB modules,..
SK Hynix does indeed have DDR5-4800 64GB modules, that are not yet released.

Currently with Intel 12th Gen Dual-Channel i9 CPU running DDR5 memory,.. 2X modules is your best option.

Perhaps next few months you will see 64GB modules listed on Dell memory upgrade site.

DDR5-4800 CL32 will benchmark similar performance, or better than DDR5-6000MHz CL40.

Good luck.

jbmerrill1954 wrote:

Because 128GB is supported. When applying XMP you're attempting to run the kit(s) at 5200MHz, this is out of Intel spec and is classed as overclocking. Not only that, you're combining the kits, so there won't be sufficient guard-band to ensure stability. Moreover, even 5200MHz in 64GB density is hard enough on the IMC without adding another kit into the mix.

Default speeds on this platform for 2 slots per channel with 2 DIMMs per channel populated is 4000MT/s and 3600 MT/s for single and dual rank modules respectively. Hope this helps.