cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD question

Sayjimwoo
Level 7
I have an overclock on my i7 4770k of 4.5 ghz. (Z87 Deluxe board) My temps are low and everything runs runs great. I have been hammering games now solid for 2 months, especially BF4 for a few weeks now. Suddenly out of the blue whilst playing BF4 I got the BSOD whea uncorrectable error. I know this error is related to the CPU. Even though I have played games and used my PC solidly for 2 months could this still mean my overclock is unstable? Or just carry on as normal and monitor it?
If my system was unstable, why crash after 2 months of continuous use? Strange.
W10 Pro - Phantek ATX Glass - Asus Maximus IX Formula - Zonar Phoebus - Intel i7 7700k - Corsair H115i - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - 1080ti Sea Hawk X - 3x Samsung 850 evo 1tb - 2x WD Black 2tb - Pioneer Blu-Ray - Corsair RM850 - Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Ultimate Stealth 2016 - BenQ XL2720Z 27 144hz Gaming Monitor - Oculus Rift
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
Whea errors are most often associated with memory and as you correctly stated CPU as the memory controller is on the CPU. Monitor and record what if any additional errors you get. For now just enjoy ...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Kross
Level 7
Funny things happen over time with heat and silicon. My i7 920 did this same thing a few years ago. I had to play around with the voltages and overclock again to find the stability the system needed. I haven't had a single crash since then.

I agree that after a few months it's weird that it's crashing. If the stop code in the BSOD is 124, then that's related to the cpu and it's voltage most likely. Either too high or not enough voltage, more commonly the latter.

I suggest trying to mess around with the overclocking again. I would reset the CMOS and then redo the overclock. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks. Yeah it was a 124 error. I am currently tweaking my voltages. I suppose it wasn't 100% stable or It wouldn't have crashed at all.
W10 Pro - Phantek ATX Glass - Asus Maximus IX Formula - Zonar Phoebus - Intel i7 7700k - Corsair H115i - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - 1080ti Sea Hawk X - 3x Samsung 850 evo 1tb - 2x WD Black 2tb - Pioneer Blu-Ray - Corsair RM850 - Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Ultimate Stealth 2016 - BenQ XL2720Z 27 144hz Gaming Monitor - Oculus Rift

Sayjimwoo wrote:
Thanks. Yeah it was a 124 error. I am currently tweaking my voltages. I suppose it wasn't 100% stable or It wouldn't have crashed at all.

At least it's an easy fix in the grand scheme of all things. Voltages are easy to fix, bad ram or a bum CPU isn't. 🙂