cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadwell-E expirienced overclocking help needed

wonderin
Level 8
hey pro overlockers, noob needs some advices here.

Recently I've decided to push my 6850k a bit further (within the common sense).

For 2 years it's been running @4000 mhz all cores via XMP profile for my 3000mhz ram (with 3125 cache). Xmp changes the blck to 125 (as far as I know, broadwell-E are stable with high frequency RAM at 125 bclk) and vcore to 1.222.
I've tried to push it a bit to 4.250, setting 1.282 value to vcore manually, seems stable. mobo is strix x99, temperatures are sitting <60c after 30 mins realbench stress test (with nzxt kraken x62).

I'm wondering, should I also change other settings like vcore offset agent etc., should I overlock cache?
And, in general, should I push frequency further regarding I'm mostly playing competetive games and working with Adobe software (AE, PS, IL)?

Just trying to understand my cpu/system better. like a good parent :)*
51 REPLIES 51

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Never a good idea to oc everything at once
Memory should be last and yeah xmp can be hit and miss x299 is a little better at it than any x99 is/ was.

so decreasing strap to 100 makes my OC not working according to that windows update stuff (i have 1809 build already so i can't just delete the update).

however, lowering those voltages with 125 strap works just fine i guess

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nice one on the BIOS fix!

That is normal...irritating to the OCD like me...but normal:o

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Nice one on the BIOS fix!

That is normal...irritating to the OCD like me...but normal:o

haha, OCD and OC come hand in hand :cool:

Anyway, turned out that it's all unstable in my case with 100 strap.. All voltages were set the same but realbench freezes the system after couple minutes. Maybe I should've changed LLC or something for 100 Mhz strap, and I've noticed that the "actual" voltages are slightly less with that strap 100 Strap, even when they are the same in bios.

Probably my cpu/pc really loves that 125 strap 😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Things will change...you'll have to do some playing to see what voltage you need etc.

But yes, some CPUs do

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Things will change...you'll have to do some playing to see what voltage you need etc.

But yes, some CPUs do

are you using adaptive voltage on your cpu?*

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm on a Threadripper system at the minute...but yes, on Intel rigs I ran adaptive on 100BCLK...allows for speedstep and only applies voltage to turbo ratios.

Just type voltage you require into "additional turbo voltage" field (think it's called that) and your done...forget the offset just above...all you need is your target voltage for your max OC...i.e. what you found worked with manual voltage for any given OC...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I'm on a Threadripper system at the minute...but yes, on Intel rigs I ran adaptive on 100BCLK...allows for speedstep and only applies voltage to turbo ratios.

Just type voltage you require into "additional turbo voltage" field (think it's called that) and your done...forget the offset just above...all you need is your target voltage for your max OC...i.e. what you found worked with manual voltage for any given OC...

so i should not bother with offset for adaptive vcore? it requires a value (or left on auto)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No, it requires no value...just leave it as it is

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
No, it requires no value...just leave it as it is

I've just noticed that my mobo cannot monitor Vcore. YIKES.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There are points on the board for accurate readings if you have a multi-meter...but software is usually adequate...it's not a million miles from the truth...as long as you only use one program for monitoring at a time....