cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios update

OFFLINEX
Level 7
I just finished my build and installed windows 8.1 but it keeps crashing with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR which is a hardware code the only thing I can think of at the moment is the BIOS is out of date but when I attempt to run the BIOS updated in the user guide I get to freedos from the DVD but I can't access my flash drive which is formatted in fat32. It keeps telling me 😧 is an invalid drive when it's where my USB is when windows is running.
I have also tried multiple USB ports on the mobo to no avail, the USB lights up but that's it.

Also here is my build incase anyone sees a compatibility problem.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Jnyv
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi OFFLINEX, Sorry to hear you are having issues. Here is a link from microsoft on the WHEA errros. Hope it helps. Is it giving a number after the error?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557321(v=vs.85).aspx

Not with windows 8 it just gives some stupid frowny face. But I'm trying to update my bios to rule that out.

Nate152
When I copied the link it said it was for windows 8. I do see the blue screen page is for windows 7.

So any help for my BIOS update problems?

OFFLINEX wrote:
So any help for my BIOS update problems?

This may be a stupid question, but you are plugging the flash drive into the usb port below the bios flashback button, correct?
CPU:i5 4670K @ 4.4Ghz stable at 1.2v
MOBO:Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA1150 Z87
RAM:G. Skill Ripjaws X 8gb (2x4gb modules) OC to 1866Mhz
GPU:TBA
PSU:EVGA Supernova 750 watt 80+ Gold
CPU Cooler:Corsair H80i, this thing is a beast for its size.
Case:Corsair 300r, not the best but good looking.
SSD:OCZ Vertex 4 128gb

Nate152
Check to see that XHCI is enabled as well as USB legacy support in your bios.

Nate152
You can check in the bios to see if your USB configuration is like mine, I am on the vpro -z77 at the moment but should be similar. Advanced Tab, USB Configuration.

Intel USB 2.0 EHCI controller - enabled
Legacy USB support - enabled
Legacy USB 3.0 support - enabled
Intel xHCI mode - smart auto
EHCI Handoff - disabled

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there please do the following.

Download the latest bios for your motherboard. Extract the bios file to the root directory of your FAT formatted USB stick.

Now place your stick into the inout USB port of your motherboard. Use the top one next to the keyboard and mouse slot please.

Power to BIOS, and navigate to the tools menu. Here you selected the EZflash2 option and follow the prompts to flash your board.

Most of the time the errors you are getting are as a result of memory issues by the way.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.