cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best to use Software or bios to overclock

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
Hey peeps

just few question i have regarding the best way of overclocking my i7 3770k and Asus gtx 680 DirectCU II OC on the Asus Maximus V Extreme motherboard.

OC equipment/software at my disposal

ROG OC key

Exterem Tweker

Asus Turbo EVO

ASUS O.C Profile

i heard that their were many bugs or that Asus AI Suite II had problems and that i should remove it, is that still the case?

Intel CPU overclock

best to OC using bios or is the software now good enough to oc.

or should i let the software figure out best of OC for me depending on my configuration once i have the OC, i should than fine tune the the voltages back down or any other parameters. i read and watched some one mention that the Asus software overshoots the voltage/ apply s more voltage, than needed.

Asus Geforce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC Edition

which software should i use to overclock this with:

ASUS GPU Tweak

MSI AfterBurner

EVGA Precision x

was l looking to use manufacture software for compatibility but i read that this is sometimes not the best wasnt sure hence why i have made thread.

look forward to your reply's

PurE GaminG
l Intel 377OK 3.50GHZ l Asus Maxiums v Extreme l Asus Geforce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC l Samsung 840 EVO 250GB l

l Coolermaster Cosmos ultra l Corsair 860i I Corsair h100i
9 REPLIES 9

jab383
Level 13
I think it's all personal preference. Some like the convenience of varying things within the operating system while others like to tweak things that can only be done in BIOS.

For me, BIOS to set basic modes, clock and voltage starting points, RAM speed and timing and control cooling fans. Turbo V lets me adjust clocks within limits and some of the voltages. That's a lot more convenient than rebooting for every step of core voltage.

My video card is locked for clocks and voltage, but GPU Tweak works well on the fan. Another convenience.

Jeff

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
did you find any errors and bugs with both pieces of software aka GPU Tweak and Turbo EVO and when i come on last year i was told to remove Asus AI suite II why was that ? and is that the case still?
l Intel 377OK 3.50GHZ l Asus Maxiums v Extreme l Asus Geforce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC l Samsung 840 EVO 250GB l

PurE GaminG wrote:
did you find any errors and bugs with both pieces of software aka GPU Tweak and Turbo EVO and when i come on last year i was told to remove Asus AI suite II why was that ? and is that the case still?

I haven't found any bugs with those, but Turbo V Core may not be exactly like Turbo EVO - I think the difference is M5 vs M6.

I think AI Suite is loaded with bloat - power management stuff, Wifi/Bluetooth, fancy graphic fan controls, etc -- none of which do I want clogging the OS while I'm trying to benchmark. As I said, a personal preference.

Jeff

HiVizMan
Level 40
It really depends what you are doing.

So for 24/7 use bios is the best without doubt.

For a short burst of gaming the software is a handy way to get just a few more FPS if you need them.

That is for the CPU and system memory.

Software is the best way to go for VIDEO

Any software that you are comfortable is good, they are all pretty much the same and most of them are written by the same guy.

Personally I use Afterburner for all of my vga overclocking.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
yeh original i was going to use the BIOS but i thought why let the software go to waste if it worked and i was going to use MSI AfterBurner for the GPU, but i saw that ASUS provided their own ASUS GPU Tweak and it would work better with their own card hence the reason why i asked.

i still could use the software or step up just to get a base line of what sort of cpu ive got really quickly if i needed, my mian concern was toask that if the software was functioning properly.

one more question what RAM would you recommed for MVE going to be used for benchmarking/Gaming/Phhotoshop.

i wont low latency/fast speed balanced RAM that i could also OC mobo support 2800oc

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes the board supports that but how do you know if your CPU can do that speed? Only way is to buy it and find out, if it will not then you have wasted money I guess.

For what you want to do I would suggest a set of 2400MHz ram of the 16GB capacity. Or if you want more capacity then a single 32GB kit, speed is something that sells ram and is only really valuable to the marketing folks. Real world you are not going to notice if your ram runs 2666 or 2400 I can promise you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
sorry yeh ofc if my cpu supports it, i was just saying tht mobo does support it.

i think 16Gb should be enough but what speed and timings to buy and and have room for decent OC if needed.

"However, if you really want maximum overclocking potential and the best performance we encourage you to go for the C10 kits because contrary to popular belief tighter timings actually improve real world performance more than higher frequencies and tighter timings ultimately give you more overclocking headroom as you have more timing slack to play with."

HiVizMan
Level 40
Love the marketing guys.

Size matters without doubt, speed and latency does not matter as much as folks would have you believe. And you are spot on 16GB is the sweet spot right now.

Look the bottom line is if you can afford a set of Cas9 2400 16GB kit of ram go for it. If you can afford 2666 Cas 10 go for it.

If you can not and can only afford a set of cas11 2400, mate you will not notice the difference I can assure you of that. I mean come on do you care if a .rar file of 4.5GB in size a medium size movie that you download extracts in 1.34secs or 1.37secs. Mate that is the kind of real world difference I am talking about. 😄

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
"i think AI Suite is loaded with bloat" what do you mean by this makes you system slow?.

cant you pick and choose which programs you want from the ASUS AI Suite II, i kind of like the fan expert program.