cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Asus 13" Ultrabook?

srmojuze
Level 10
Hi all, I recently traded in my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 as I am going Android (Nexus 7, HTC OneX). I recently got a ROG G55 and I'm very impressed.

I want to trade in my MacBook Air 13" 2012 model, and get an ultrabook instead because the ROG G55 is too ~awesome~ to use as a regular work laptop.

Any advice? Cheers in advance. BTW the ultrabook should have Kepler but I know that may not be feasible in an ultrabook.

PS Yes, I am de-Apple-ing my life because without Steve Jobs things are just not the same anymore.

Edit: It will take some time because I am quite used to Mac OS X in some ways so for Mac I will use cloud like MacInCloud...

I still want Kepler in my Ultrabook because I don't want to be without my G55 and then be like... arr, can't even do some 3D stuff or casual Hawken or something.
5,557 Views
5 REPLIES 5

Zygomorphic
Level 17
All the ASUS ultrabooks are Intel graphics based. Only a few Acers have dedicated GPUs in them. My concern with the dedicated-GPU ultrabook is how little space there is for proper cooling. ASUS does have a 15" "Ultrabook" with 1080p and a 650M GPU in it, which is pretty sweet. 🙂 However, it is 15", and it is ~$2000.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
All the ASUS ultrabooks are Intel graphics based. Only a few Acers have dedicated GPUs in them. My concern with the dedicated-GPU ultrabook is how little space there is for proper cooling. ASUS does have a 15" "Ultrabook" with 1080p and a 650M GPU in it, which is pretty sweet. 🙂 However, it is 15", and it is ~$2000.


Interesting. Are there any decent AMD Fusion ultrabooks? Yes, I can Google, but I like to listen to humans.

srmojuze wrote:
Interesting. Are there any decent AMD Fusion ultrabooks? Yes, I can Google, but I like to listen to humans.


None that I know of. I would be too worried about the gaming aspects. The Ivy Bridge graphics chip is actually quite impressive. You should look up the performance of them and see if they would be adequate. They are capable of driving games at low resolutions - at least the full-voltage mobile chips are.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
None that I know of. I would be too worried about the gaming aspects. The Ivy Bridge graphics chip is actually quite impressive. You should look up the performance of them and see if they would be adequate. They are capable of driving games at low resolutions - at least the full-voltage mobile chips are.


Interesting. Actually I don't want another PC, I can just use cloud so I want a 13" Transformer Android tablet with Tegra 4. 😄

srmojuze wrote:
Interesting. Actually I don't want another PC, I can just use cloud so I want a 13" Transformer Android tablet with Tegra 4. 😄


That should be pretty good for gaming, all things considered. 😄 The Transformer 700 Infinity would be great, except it is 10". 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23