cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic OC profile question from a first-time in a long time overclocker

bfollowell
Level 9
I built my new gaming/daily use rig last fall. It's based around a ROG Maximus IX Hero motherboard with an I7-7700K processor and an NZXT Kraken X61 CPU cooler, 16GB of G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 RAM and an ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 OC edition 8GB 11Gbps GPU. I run at 1440P resolution so I can't say that I've really found a need yet to push my system as everything runs great with 144+ FPS at ultra settings in most of the games I'm currently playing. Still, I'd like to play a little experiment with some overclocking, if for no other reason than to just play around a little and for bragging rights. I really haven't done much in the way of overclocking since Pentium4 days, so I know a lot has changed. I'm curious as to how I should set things up.

My initial thoughts were to setup an overclocking profile strictly for gaming, and only use it only when I'm gaming and run stock the rest of the time. It seems like it would be a lot of overkill to overclock everything for web browsing, downloading and video streaming.

What are you guys' thoughts?
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
bfollowell wrote:
I built my new gaming/daily use rig last fall. It's based around a ROG Maximus IX Hero motherboard with an I7-7700K processor and an NZXT Kraken X61 CPU cooler, 16GB of G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 RAM and an ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 OC edition 8GB 11Gbps GPU. I run at 1440P resolution so I can't say that I've really found a need yet to push my system as everything runs great with 144+ FPS at ultra settings in most of the games I'm currently playing. Still, I'd like to play a little experiment with some overclocking, if for no other reason than to just play around a little and for bragging rights. I really haven't done much in the way of overclocking since Pentium4 days, so I know a lot has changed. I'm curious as to how I should set things up.

My initial thoughts were to setup an overclocking profile strictly for gaming, and only use it only when I'm gaming and run stock the rest of the time. It seems like it would be a lot of overkill to overclock everything for web browsing, downloading and video streaming.

What are you guys' thoughts?

Hi,

The guide below will help you greatly. If there's anything you're not sure of, just ask. With the option of using adaptive or offset voltages, if you're simply web browsing, the CPU will remain in a non-turbo state. You've got a lot to catch up on if you've truly not overclocked since P4 🙂

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

bfollowell
Level 9
I already have that one download, printed, and am skimming it now. Anxious to get home, get a little sleep, then start playing around.

Yeah, I had a 2.66 GHZ Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe, and a 2.66 GHz i5-750 Lynnfield Quad-Core, both that were supposed to be pretty decent overclockers but, honestly, I got great performance out of both, until I didn't. With both, it seems like I just hit a wall one day. I was 1080P gaming at the time, and they both performed really well and, by the time I really started noticing they weren't keeping up with current crop of games any longer, they were so far behind that the little bit of gain I would've gotten from overclocking just wasn't worth the effort. Heck, I just replaced the i5-750 Lynnfield last fall with my current system. I ran that sucker as my daily gamer/workhorse for almost 7 full years!

Thanks.