cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Unit Of 4790k?

Nextgeo
Level 7
Hi,
I have a i7 4790K and I read a lot of information about his high temps.

Actually I Have 4,4Ghz With 1.15Vcore With Offset But When The CPU need more Power Automatically (And I dont Know Why) The Vcore Ups to 1.18.
The Temps With Real Bench In Multitasking and Infinite Mode are 62ºMax
With Intel Extreme Tuning Utility more or less are the same.
With OCCT the same more or less.
But... When I Use Prime95 or LinX the temps are between 90-100º (I know that this Bench programs are Bad for this generation of CPU)

Its my CPU a Bad Unit?

The rest of my Computer:
Maximus VII Hero (BIOS 0904)
i7 4790k
Noctua NH-U12S (With 2 Fans Of Corsair H80i 2400Rpm)
Corsair Vengeance PRO 1866 CL9
Corsair AXi 860
Carbide 300R
Should I do a RMA?

Thanks..
2 REPLIES 2

jab383
Level 13
Hi Nextgeo

That 4790K looks to be a little better than mine. Mine takes 1.16Vcore for stability at 4.4GHz. The temperatures look about right for CPU that is not delidded.

You're right about certain stress tests - the ones that use AVX instructions increase voltage within the CPU. Prime95 is not only unnecessarily hot, but isn't a very stringent stability test. Realbench works well because it applies a normal application type of heat load while exercising the CPU and its instructions very well to detect instability.

RMA? I'd say no. If you want higher OC and working under heavier loads - competitive benchmarking for instance - I suggest looking into delidding.

Jeff

jab383 wrote:
Hi Nextgeo

That 4790K looks to be a little better than mine. Mine takes 1.16Vcore for stability at 4.4GHz. The temperatures look about right for CPU that is not delidded.

You're right about certain stress tests - the ones that use AVX instructions increase voltage within the CPU. Prime95 is not only unnecessarily hot, but isn't a very stringent stability test. Realbench works well because it applies a normal application type of heat load while exercising the CPU and its instructions very well to detect instability.

RMA? I'd say no. If you want higher OC and working under heavier loads - competitive benchmarking for instance - I suggest looking into delidding.

Jeff

thanks for the fast reply, I know that the Bench with AVX instructions are bad for this generations of CPU, But In Summer? I think that this CPU Could be more hot than in Winter... And If I buy a Unlocked CPU I Wont have a Bad OC or temperatures =( I will think this days If I return it to the shop or what.

Thanks for all.
And sorry for my bad english