cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Temps for i5-4690K on M6I

irrelephant
Level 7
TLDR of the below: What temps are normal for an i5-4690K stock-clocked CPU on an M6I?

Hi all,

just built my gaming PC around a M6I ROG board the other day. I am not a total noob when it comes to PC builds as I have done lots of them. mITX is however a first for me, so I have been monitoring temperatures closely over the last couple of days and am now rather worried.

Using a SilverStone Nitrogen NT-06 Pro CPU cooler + Noctua IPPC-3000 PWM fan I achieved ~35°C idle temps, ~70°C temps while gaming and 90°C within 20 minutes of prime95 testing.

Using a Thermalright AXP-100 Muscle and moving the Noctua fan to the top exhaust I now achieve ~40°C idle, ~65°C gaming and 82°C prime95 temps.

Is that normal? 80° and 90° even seem way too high to me for a gaming rig. Can somebody provide some temps for me to compare to, please? If these temps really should be too high, what else can I do to reduce temps aside from changing fans in the small Lian-Li case?

Any help is appreciated.

Specs:
Board: M6I mITX
CPU: i5-4690K
GPU: EVGA GTX970
Case: Lian-Li Q28 mITX
Fan (Front): 1x 140mm fan taking air in
Fan (Back/Top): 1x 120mm fan blowing out air / Noctua 120mm IPPC 3000RPM PWM
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hello irrelephant

That's a neat looking cpu cooler.

If you have every thing at stock and set to auto, your board will over volt the cpu. Try setting the cpu core voltage manually to 1.20v.

If you're stable drop the cpu core voltage .01v until you are unstable then bring it back up a notch. I will recommend you to uninstall prime95 and install ROG realbench, your temps will be much better when stress testing.

65c is fine for gaming temps, I don't like to see anything over 75c for long term gaming.

Once you get stable with setting the cpu voltage manually, tell us what your temps are.

irrelephant
Level 7
Thanks for the reply Nate. Realized the board did some weird overvolting on Core0, as shown in AI Suite. I will undervolt as you suggested and then report back.

Nate152
Thank you

Will be waiting for your results.

Do all your changes in the bios please not ai suite.