cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Z87 Sabretooth and Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD

shallo
Level 7
Hi after new build all seemed OK.
However from cold boot my system boots ok with SSD but when in windows i restart the system it hangs up.
By that i mean it doesnt boot into windows you just get the boot screen which directs you to BIOS press F? or delete to enter bios.
Nothing happens.
But if i power off or press reset it books OK into windows.
ANyone have a clue as to what is wrong?
thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi shallo 🙂 can you post up your full (detailed) system specs....it might help somebody spot something.

When you say "nothing happens"....do you mean when you press F? or delete nothing happens.

Have a look in your BIOS and make sure boot order is OK....

Sorry for delay just been having a nightmare recently.
Spec. is as followed:
Asus Sabretooth Z87 motherboard.
Video card EVGA GTX 780 SC+ACX Cooler
Memory Corsair Memory Vengeance LP Black 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz XMP Dual Channel
CPU Intel I7 4770K
Optical readers LG Blue ray writer reader drive plus a LG DVD drive
OS Windows 7 Professional
CPU cooler Noctua NH-D14
PSU Corsair AX860
HDD 1 Samsung 256GB 820 Pro SSD
HDD 2* 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Sata
HDD 1* 200GB seaget sata drive (old drive from previous build)
Case Antec 1100

If its any use:
I have reinstalled several times.
Upgraded and down graded the Bios.
I have noticed the HDD LED on motherboard illuminated when this happens, kind of suggest it doesnt know which HDD to boot off?

* Also i note for thos of you using Corsair H80i cooler (i was previously running a Ivy bridge setup which worked just great.
Then cooler leaked and trashed everything. Corsair have now refunded me and replaced components were they were able to.
In my case just the memory. They were out of stock on coolers,( i am glad about that).
But it did take a month of waiting to get agreement then waiting for parts and compensation. It failed after 3 months, very dissappointed.

The new Z87 board uses a American Trends BIOS which i really hate and there are all sorts of boot up options.
May be its me but its not intuitive.

Hope someone can shed light on it.
Thanks.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I take it you are using your old OS for the new system?

I know it is going to be a pain but please do a full new OS install.

Remove all other hard drives from your system and only have the SSD connected when you do the OS install.

The F8 key is what should allow you into the boot option during the post process.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

shallo
Level 7
HI,
I originally tried to use the old OS, but was forced into a complete reinstall.
Done that several times already?
i will try the F8 key when it happens next.
Thx

HiVizMan
Level 40
The trick is to do a new OS install with only the SSD fitted to the SATA port. AHCI as the SATA mode if no RAID and then after the OS install fit the other hard drives.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Reinstall with just the SSD fitted, problem is still the same.
😞

billyray520
Level 10
Another possibility: see this thread

Also:

Check out the Intel thread

According to that thread, other SSDs are affected by this bug:
The SSD can only be found by BIOS with a cold start up, but can never be found on a restart.

It has to do with a very recent SATA specification, which some SSD's are implementing. HOWEVER, older computer BIOSs do not have it yet, so this results. :mad: Intel is currently working on a SSD Bios update of their own. (see second link)

In the first linked thread, you can see that Pitcher@Asus claims the newer Asus products have this BIOS implementation. HOWEVER, just today someone posted on the Intel site with a Z87 board, that is having the exact same problem with his Intel 530 series.

Conclusion: Your SSD may have this new SATA specification (see explanation in first link and at end of this post)

Recap: The symptom is the SSD cold boots just fine. But the SSD can not be found (even in BIOS) on a restart. If that's your symptom (and your first post seems to indicate that) then you probably have an SSD with this problem. (It doesn't just affect Intel) This problem is EXTREMELY problematic when the SSD is the boot drive!!

Intel's explanation:

We have successfully recreated the issue. The cause appears to be that some BIOS implementations do not support a newer ATA feature called “Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM) for Software Setting Preservation (SSP)”. Intel® has recently added this feature to the firmware for newer SSD models.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

I think you are right Billybob.
I guess I will have to wait for Asus to implement something in the BIOS.
Going to image OS onto normal sata drive and see if that fixes the issue.
I will know soon enough I guess.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Can you confirm which SATA slot you used to do the OS install please.