cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ? WHY YU NO GTX-680m ???

Rifain
Level 7
I sent back my G75VW because it had a faulty slot memory, waiting to be refunded. Now I am wondering, there is other laptops on the market with the latest 680 (MSI, Alienware), but what Asus is waiting for ?
I have been looking for their roadmap but no lock so far.
I'd prefer to have an Asus with this card. BUT WHEN ??????????????????? 😞
Asus G75VW, at least trying ......
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Don't think it's going to happen soon, if ever:

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
[ASUS] feel the 660M/670M are the best price: performance hardware, while allowing us to make a laptop that's cooler, quieter and lighter.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Shawnnepc
Level 13
We already have a fairly large number of threads in the G75/G55 section discussing this issue.

I don't expect to ever see the 675 or 680 in the G series laptops.

The 680m is still a incredibly niche product to begin with, I don't think it'll ever see full scale production.

Only a few manufacturers embed it into their chassis to sell it and even then it's in very small quantities.

Dell, Clevo (Sager, Origin) MSI and Compal (Not sure if it ever made it to market)

The largest reseller/retailer of that lot would be Dell with their Alienware line and I don;t think they even move large numbers
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

I get your points. But one day, they'll have to move on to better GPUs, the 680 is indeed a niche, but soon it will become mainstream like any other new graphic cards.
I've read another discussion on the topic, and people were saying that in terms of noise and temp, the G75 still had room to put a 680 in it.
I don't get the Asus strategy here, or are they waiting a next specific generation of GPUs ?

Rifain wrote:
I get your points. But one day, they'll have to move on to better GPUs, the 680 is indeed a niche, but soon it will become mainstream like any other new graphic cards.

By then the 700 series will be available. The 680M will always remain a premium card, as the 580M/480M/280M did previously.

The G75 is built with high-end thermal capacity in order to keep the noise as low and tolerable as possible, and also not to melt the desk it sits on. Whether it can and whether it should are two different things.

The other fact is cost: few are willing to pay 50% more for the notebook.

amuffin
Level 8
I talked to a guy at the ASUS ROG Event at Frys who said he designed the previous gen G74SX and G53SX, he said they tested the 680M but it was too hot. Also, he said very little people would buy the laptop because it would be much more expensive than a laptop featuring a 660M or 670M!
Tom's Hardware Expert starting fresh on the ROG Forums! :cool:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/profile-946176.htm

Cheers for your replies. That was instructive.