cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Z790-e and i9-13900K - Undervolt CPU Core Voltage

EricJT
Level 7
I recently installed an Asus ROG Strix 790-e and an i9-13900K. I read about undervolting with Intel's XTU because I would like to get the temps down (90C) when running Cinebench R23. I tried Intel's XTU but when I went to incrementally undervolt the core voltage, the software said I didn't have Dogwatch Timer installed and if the change caused the system to crash, XTU would not be able to reboot to the last base core voltage.

I searched for other users who had the same experience and came up dry.....I do have the latest version of XTU installed anbd all of the current ASUS drivers and BIOS.

Is there a simple "how to" guide available as to undervolting the CPU in the Asus BIOS? I am not an avid gamer, but rather use my system for video editing (4K) and photography (RAW). TBH, I know enough about changing the BIOS but probably not sufficient to not cause myself a problem trying to undervolt the CPU in BIOS.

Suggestions? TIA.
16 REPLIES 16

omfgitsbk
Level 8

obriets
Level 7
EricJT wrote:
I recently installed an Asus ROG Strix 790-e and an i9-13900K. I read about undervolting with Intel's XTU because I would like to get the temps down (90C) when running Cinebench R23. I tried Intel's XTU but when I went to incrementally undervolt the core voltage, the software said I didn't have Dogwatch Timer installed and if the change caused the system to crash, XTU would not be able to reboot to the last base core voltage.

I searched for other users who had the same experience and came up dry.....I do have the latest version of XTU installed anbd all of the current ASUS drivers and BIOS.

Is there a simple "how to" guide available as to undervolting the CPU in the Asus BIOS? I am not an avid gamer, but rather use my system for video editing (4K) and photography (RAW). TBH, I know enough about changing the BIOS but probably not sufficient to not cause myself a problem trying to undervolt the CPU in BIOS.

Suggestions? TIA.

I ran into the same issue, but I think its because we both have desktop PCs and XTU is for laptops or mini pcs. Still trying to get to the bottom of my issue, but making sure your fan profile is adequate and undervolting through bios sounds like your next steps.*

If you go to Intel's site it never mentions "laptops" or "mini pcs" in that case can be the same processors listed below. Could you please explain the purpose of your comment? Thanks.

ASUS, any comment? Thank You.

""Intel XTU is a Windows*-based performance-tuning software that enables novice and experienced enthusiasts to overclock, monitor, and stress a system. The software interface exposes a set of robust capabilities common in most enthusiast platforms along with new features available on new Intel® application processors and Intel® motherboards."
This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.
Intel® Core™ i5-13600K Processor (24M Cache, up to 5.10 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-13600KF Processor (24M Cache, up to 5.10 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-13700KF Processor (30M Cache, up to 5.40 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-13700K Processor (30M Cache, up to 5.40 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF Processor (36M Cache, up to 5.80 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor (36M Cache, up to 5.80 GHz)
"For this guide, we will be using an Intel® Core™ i9-9900K desktop processor, and our recommendations and results will reflect that."

Huigie
Level 7
Use a negative offset in bios of 0,05V to start with. Some even use 0,095V.

negative offset of what though? i see 50 different settings with v or voltage in them, but nothing labelled CPU voltage, or vCPU, so i have no idea which of the dozen voltages im supposed to offset?

It’s found beneath Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage in the Extreme Tweaker menu. Simply type “Offset Voltage” into the search function if you’re unable to find it. You’ll need to change the offset mode sign to negative also.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

- offset of the Global core SVId voltage. You will put it on adaptive mode, and then start from there. I started with .08, and ended up at .11 with a stable system. I am going to do a write up to help people because I could not find much info. 

Did you ever do a write up, i would love how to just under volt in asus bios, aint got a clue what to chanage, thx

I did do a write up