cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Impact Bios Help

AIRic
Level 7
Hello! I just built my new system the other day and I do understand that most would say that a 120mm AIO isn't good enough for a Ryzen 9 5900x.
I believe it is. My situation is that with Ryzen Master I can lock all of my cores to 4.3ghz at 1.1v and it's stable and temps never really exceed 60c (unless doing stress tests but realistically for what I do it'd never go beyond 65c)

When I go to the bios I believe my system is thermally throttling because the voltage is always 1.4v+ and that when the temps reach 60c+ my system shuts down in a sense, The screen goes black after the bios freezes and all of my LED's are still on but I can't do or see anything until I restart the system.
so with that being said it's generally a race against time to mess with settings in the bios but even when I go to the bios I'm generally a little confused
since Ryzen master is a little easier to use. But I would personally love to be able to set it in my bios that I can have my cpu locked in at 1.1v with all cores to 4.3ghz.

My specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
MB: Asus Rog Crosshair Viii impact
CPU Cooler: Asus Ryou 120mm AIO
GPU: Asus Rog Strix 2080ti OC
Ram: 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600mhz
20 REPLIES 20

RedSector73 wrote:
The DOCP was just an example from x470 system taken off the internet, my ram only has one DOCP setting as well.

So, 0d is memory training error. The memory controller is on the CPU and its power can be controlled manually. You could you try setting manual SOC Value, 1.05v or 1.1v and see if this gets the issue resolved.

I left the bios alone for a few days and I went to go get dinner tonight and came back to another 0d code (I was logged into windows and had a game running)
I went to the bios to attempt to do what you said and the SOC value seems to be at 1.080v already from the auto settings.

I tried setting it to Manual and it wouldn't allow me to actually manually set it.
I then tried running the system with each stick of ram individually after resetting the bios and 1 stick seems to freeze and 0d my system faster than the other but they both did it.

so I basically raced to go back to the tpu 1 setting with a custom fan curve and the dcop settings since that's been the most stable so far.
but I'd really like to fix the issue ultimately since I've put too much into the system to be okay with issues in general..

Also after each 0d code and doing a reset I'd get a 4d code then after resetting from the 4d it'd boot up naturally.
like my issues seem to be with the bios mainly and I don't see myself playing with the bios all the time. But I just think it's really right to have a system with something wrong with it in general you know?

RedSector73
Level 12
SOC Voltage

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode.

Navigate to
Extreme Tweaker (maybe AI Tweaker) -> CPU SOC Voltage set to manual
-VDDSOC Voltage Override and type in the voltage. 1.05 or 1.1 or 1.15

A 4d error is a bit of worry meaning is 'OEM post memory initialization' and only CPU I have this happen on was defective and I had RMA it (was tested and replaced by AMD) eventually becuase it would not post, YMMV and not suggesting go this path yet. Just mumbling loud enough you can hear.

RedSector73 wrote:
SOC Voltage

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode.

Navigate to
Extreme Tweaker (maybe AI Tweaker) -> CPU SOC Voltage set to manual
-VDDSOC Voltage Override and type in the voltage. 1.05 or 1.1 or 1.15

A 4d error is a bit of worry meaning is 'OEM post memory initialization' and only CPU I have this happen on was defective and I had RMA it (was tested and replaced by AMD) eventually becuase it would not post, YMMV and not suggesting go this path yet. Just mumbling loud enough you can hear.

the VDDSOC voltage override says auto and doesn't allow me to change it.
I'm actually consistently getting 4d

Go into bios> Attempt to change settings> Bios freezes> Get Error Code 0d> Restart PC> Get error code 4d> Restart PC> Go into Bios> repeat the whole process again.

every time I get a 0d a 4d comes on the restart after it.
kind of gave up for now to report what's going on. I do have a picture of my bios although I have done a bios flashback and struggled getting my DCOP settings turned back on to at least have my ram running at their rated speeds.

Just chilling out on windows and I guess going to play games until you give me the next set of advice. I just wanted to let you know that I truly do appreciate all of the help you're giving me and I do apologize if at some times I seem a little agitated. I've just never had issues with PC's before like this and it's a little frustrating .

Edit:
It wasn't actually set to offset mode, I pressed the + on my number pad hoping to be able to edit the value but it changed to that as it froze and I took the picture before it went black and gave me the 0d error

Edit: 2
A friend of mine sent me a reddit thing where someone else with the same board was getting the 4d error and they figured out it was being caused by one of the standoff screws apparently.

I removed the screw that the thread suggested and since then I haven't had any 4d error codes after my 0d error codes.
Also upon looking at the physical motherboard when I get my 0d Error codes I believe it's the Ram LED that is always on (it's a little hard to tell because it's such a blinding bright yellow color..

RedSector73
Level 12
Using TPU mode maybe why you can't program the SOC voltage ?

RedSector73 wrote:
Using TPU mode maybe why you can't program the SOC voltage ?

I figured out how to do it but 1.1v still caused it to freeze into the 0d and when I tried 1.15v as soon as I booted into the bios it froze into a 0d then went to into a 4d error. went to the offset mode for now just so I don't get another 4d.

Offset mode actually has it set to 1.176v on the cpu soc

Edit:
I'm actually wondering if it's the RAM causing the freezing in the bios since it is a 0d error code.
Problem is I can't return the ram I have right now because best buy only has a 15 day return period and today was day 16..

RedSector73
Level 12
Try one stick of ram, still freezes, try other one by itself. You could have dud one, rare to have two defective, not impossible.

RedSector73 wrote:
Try one stick of ram, still freezes, try other one by itself. You could have dud one, rare to have two defective, not impossible.

Did it before but I just did it again just now to be sure.

First test: Took out the Ram from Dimm slot B1 and went into the bios, Bios froze after 1m 30 seconds and then the screen went black into the 0d Code
Second Test: Took out the Ram from Dimm slot A1 and put the other ram in it's place and the bios froze after 3 minutes. Screen proceeded to go black and the 0d code was present.

I honestly don't understand why the issue is generally with my Bios only. like I don't freeze up in windows and I'm more or less worried that eventually the system itself will do the same as in the bios.

RedSector73
Level 12
It's hard to say for sure, but 4d error not the 0d eventually lead me RMA my CPU and I own about 8 Ryzen systems, and it turned out to be the issue. I'm not sure where you live, but warranty maybe the right way to go. I can't give you any more advice except to say it appaears like hardware issue CPU, RAM, Motherboard are the top contenders and I would be leaning towards the CPU.

I also doubt you have done anything to cause this. stuff happens, and why waranty is a thing.

RedSector73 wrote:
It's hard to say for sure, but 4d error & 0d eventually lead me RMA my CPU and I own about 8 Ryzen systems, and it turned out to be the issue. I'm not sure where you live, but warranty maybe the right way to go. I can't give you any more advice except to say it appaears like hardware issue CPU, RAM, Motherboard are the top contenders and I would be leaning towards the CPU.

I'm thinking about trying new ram first, then my next step I think would be to try and RMA the CPU or motherboard.

I live in the USA and unfortunately I did buy the CPU new off ebay (it actually is new though) and I only did that because of all of the scalpers.
motherboard I got from newegg though.

it's just really unfortunate that I can't return my ram that I currently have due to best buy's return policy only being 15 days..

I want to try ram first because I looked up the ram I got from best buy on the QVL and while corsair claims the ram to be Ryzen compatible it's not on my motherboard's QVL list apparently. or it was the cpu QVL list...

the ram I was actually looking at is this ram F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC and as I type this I've become paranoid lol

RedSector73
Level 12
I don't use corsair ram with Ryzen, got burnt with 1800x at the start and moved to other vendors, but until this they were go too brand with Intel. Nothing bad to say about G.skill with Intel & Ryzen. The RAM your looking should be good choice ~imo.