cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus p9x79 hanging and stuttering

Irwin
Level 7
Hi guys i hope i can get some help as i am at a loss i have built a new pc and i cant get it to work system specs

Intel Core I7 3930K
Asus P9X79
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb DDR3 4X4
Nvidia GTX 680 Asus Direct cu2
2x WD Red 2 TB
1000 Watt Hiper Psu - This is the only peice that isn't new was in last pc never had a problem with so i didnt see the point in changing it

Basicly i built this new system first with 24gb corsair vengeance ram and noticed it was not working right things were hanging games were stuttering it was a nightmare. So after checking everything and spent my whole weekend on forums i found that the board doesnt like vengeance ram so i changed it out for the dominator. I noticed no change so i reformatted and installed to the other wd red hdd to eliminate that aswell but to no avail im also running the latest bios version after flashing it.

In all honesty i dont know what it is wrong it could be anything at this point like i said everything is new except the power supply and if i had problems with the power supply stress testing with prime would cause the ram or cpu to blue screen? So far after testing with prime i have had no problems but yet all windows programs hang when opening them even google chrome takes like 4 seconds before you can type and games stutter impossibe to play

As for temps cpu on idle 34 to 36 degrees mixed blend with prime after 10 mins cpu 100% load 65 degrees h100 water cooler with 4 fans push pull. Graphic card idles at 30 degrees 55 in game

Like i said im at a total loss i cant fingure anything as a possible culprit
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Irwin.

Did you inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins before installing the 3930k?

Irwin
Level 7
i did inspect it quite well as to make sure all was going in the right way i have since then updated from the asus site all the mobo drivers
but to no avail. I have further tried to benchmark with 3dmark 11 i constantly get this error Workload Single init returned error message: DXGI call IDXGISwapChain::SetFullscreenState failed:

The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver.

DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE

i did manage to run the test 1 out of 6 attempts so far to recieve a score of
P10091 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680(1x) and Intel Core i7-3930K Processor

this is the link to the full details of the results obviously after googling the error i made sure direct X was up to date the other weird thing is bf3 runs flawless i was expecting it of all the games to crash but i get 0 stuttering in it i doubt i will ever get to the bottom of this. i do feel if i had to point somthing out it would be the psu

Chino
Level 15
I'd suggest you do a Memtest86+ run with each stick of RAM. Each should pass with 0 errors. Afterwards you'll rerun the test but with all 4 sticks.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please use the guide in my sig for the Memtest86+
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Irwin
Level 7
I just got a new PSU Antec true power 1200 and the problem has gotten worse when i try to start up the pc itstarts for a millesecond then switches off which to me means its grounding im gonna do a breadboard build to eliminate grounding and test each component individually.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Very good idea, please do report back once you have any information to add.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Irwin
Level 7
just fixed the earthing problem but the main problem persist i got in touch with asus tech support to rma the board they said i have to do that via my vendor but my vendor said he doesnt so who is at fault here ?

This problem has gone on long enough and i really want to get it fixed so frustrating the only 2 things i have not tested/cant test is the mobo and processor any other ideas guys i have posts o other forums and cant get help anywere.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The shop that sold you the motherboard handles the RMA. That is the correct procedure for EU.