cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus VI gene + 4670k Help to OC even further

leokan23
Level 7
Hi guys,

it's my first thread here, and i need some help to get my machine even further. So i upgraded from Maximus V gene and 3570k and i am looking to push it to the limits. I am currently running on 4.4ghz with 1.32v, 1600mhz on ram and it seems to be stable. However, i had my old setup at 4.6ghz, 1.2v stable.

Can you help me out tune the new one a bit better? The rig comes with 1x360 blackice radiator (3x 120mm fans), swiftech pump m650, and a copper thermaltake cpu block (LOL-i know i should change it). As for ram i have this one: CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 VENGEANCE 8GB

Setup:
ASUS Maximus V Gene c2
Intel i5 4670k
CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 VENGEANCE 8GB
PSU: Crucial cx650
VGA: GTX460 Twintech

Cooling:
CPU cooper waterblock Thermaltake
360Blackice + 3x800rpm fans
Swiftech m650 pump

Thanks 🙂

Leo
4 REPLIES 4

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi leokan23 and welcome to ROG,

There is a very good tutorial you should read at the Education Center: http://www.mediafire.com/view/pghdcxc46fdpaaj/Maximus_VI_BIOS_Guide_-_Overclocking.pdf

Once you have an understanding of your Bios, there is much help here for specific OC issues.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

thanx mean machine. i already now my way around maximus bios but i refreshed my memory just in case 🙂 well one of my problems is my system becomes unstable (BSOD) on 4.6 and another is that whenever i try to get my ram over 1600, windows wont event boot. any suggestions?

MeanMachine
Level 13
If you have a stable OC at a lower memory frequency, then you may not be able to push it further, due to the limitatiom of you CPUs IMC.

As you know, Not all CPUs are capable of higher OCs and many Overclockers have to bin 8 or 10 to get a good one.

It can be a very frustrating exercise trying to Push a specific set of memory modules beyond the capability of the IMC.(Integrated Memory Controller)

Set bios back to default and see what the system chooose for you in CPUz,

Then by selecting the XMP profile of your DIMMs and see how that runs.

Should this not be stable then try 1333Mhz and test for stability,

The idea is to establish the wall so to speak of your CPUs capability, by increasing the frquency and raising Voltage a little at a time, untill stability is attained in conjunction with your DIMMs settings.

Save profiles as you go as it will require many reboots before you are satisfied.

Read this interesting article: http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

thanx for the so good info:) the strange thing about the ram is that although they are 1600mhz, the default bios sets em on 1333 (that seemed a bit odd at first). It feels a bit strange that my ivy (3570k) is stable at 4.6(1.20v) and 1600mhz dram and i can't get past that on my haswell (4670k). In any case i will keep trying and if i hit a wall i am going to change the cpu and wish for a better one.