Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus maximus v extrem

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
im brand new owner of the mombo

got few question for you which i need help in

i have spare psu which has 4 pin cpu connector

the mobo requires 8 pin connector and additional 4 pin connecter for extra power when doing heavy overclocking

could i sue the 4 pin connecter either in the 8 pin or 4 pin

or should i get other cheap psu which has 4+4 connecter or just get 4+8 connecter psu
l Intel 377OK 3.50GHZ l Asus Maxiums v Extreme l Asus Geforce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC l Samsung 840 EVO 250GB l

l Coolermaster Cosmos ultra l Corsair 860i I Corsair h100i
15 REPLIES 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please get a PSU that has both the 8 pin and the 4 pin connectors. Cheap PSU's end up killing hardware sadly.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
wut about 4+4 or shall get 4+8

cant i just use the atx 4pin to instead of the 8 pin.

i just want to test the mobo until i buy a corsair 860i later on or is it mandatory tht i use the 8 pin
l Intel 377OK 3.50GHZ l Asus Maxiums v Extreme l Asus Geforce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC l Samsung 840 EVO 250GB l

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you damage your motherboard testing it please understand that you have been advised to use a proper and correct PSU EPS connector. At the very least 8pin should be used. I understand you are keen but is it worth damaging something....

As to which PSU you decide on ensure that it has both the 8 pin and a 4 pin 12v EPS connectors 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
lol thts why im asking here for your advise.

let re explain

i have spare psu which is for the pentium 4 its 300w psu

its old psu

it has only one cpu 4 pin connecter

i dont have the money right now to buy the corsair 860i

the reason why i asked if i could use the 4 pin instead of the 8 pin is was to get to the bios to see at least it post at the bios with four pin but i guess you cant by the reaction from you guys.

why im testing the board is that if there a problem i can send back to the shop they offer 14 days guarantee.

im currently checking out test bench psu 450 psu with offering 4+4 or 4+8 cpu.

question

could i use the 4+4 connecter on the 8 pin i assume thts a yes but il ask anyway.

question

should i use one 2gb ram ddr3 or 2 sticks of 2gb and what memory standard should i use basically its my first time putting/building a pc so if you guys can recommend me some ram so itest the mobo.

i have i7 3770k
asus maximus extreme
cooler master cosmos2

hope you guys can help really appreciated it

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate.

In the UK the retailers say it is 14 days but under the distance trading laws it is 30 days.

Moving on, yes you can use a 4+4 connector for the 8 pin.

450Watt PSU is quite tiny, what VGA are you planning on using with that system?

To test the motherboard any newish DDR3 memory will do. Look at the voltages to get a clue who old the memory is, you want voltages in the 1.50 to 1.65 range really early DDR3 ram used to need 1.85volts.

To test you can use how many sticks you like really is not going to make any difference. For fault finding I use one.

Buying ram is very personal, and is dependant on what you intend to use the system for. If you are a gamer then 8GB - 16GB is the capacity of a single kit of ram you would be ideally looking at. 2133MHz is the sweet spot for memory with that CPU and motherboard combination.

HiVizMan wrote:
All good mate.

450Watt PSU is quite tiny, what VGA are you planning on using with that system?

this psu is for spare just for testing purpose

in regards to the vga im going to be sing asus vg27he 144hz 3d

PurE_GaminG
Level 7
could you recommend a cheap ddr3 that going to work for this mobo for the test 1 stick from here http://www.cclonline.com/ its neare my house cheers and thanks for anwsering the 4+4 connecter

PurE GaminG wrote:
could you recommend a cheap ddr3 that going to work for this mobo for the test 1 stick from here http://www.cclonline.com/ its neare my house cheers and thanks for anwsering the 4+4 connecter

Crucial 1GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module Desktop - £11.34 inc VAT

TIGGER
Level 7
He meant what video card, not monitor 🙂
I5 2500k@4ghz
Asus maximus v gene bios 1802
2x4gb gskill ripjaws 1333
Toshiba 256gb ssd
momentus 750gb 2.5" 7200/16mb cache
Powercolor 6850 1gb
Lg 12x BD burner/16x DVD burner combi
Cooler master gx 650 psu